The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Timing issue?

Observing a high school game last night. 3 excellent officials. They called a backcourt violation off the tip. 7:56 on the clock. They go up and down for 2 possessions. On the 3rd possession, one of the officials notices that the clock hasn't moved. They get together and call both coaches to the table and decide to set the clock at 7:30.

I go in after the game to congratulate them, so I just asked. "How did you decide on 7:30?" The R told me that they did not have a clue as to the time that should have expired. So, he got both coaches to agree on the 7:30 OR they could continue play from the 7:56 mark.

My question to you guys; Would you have taken this common sense approach or would you have just stayed within the rule?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 08:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Observing a high school game last night. 3 excellent officials. They called a backcourt violation off the tip. 7:56 on the clock. They go up and down for 2 possessions. On the 3rd possession, one of the officials notices that the clock hasn't moved. They get together and call both coaches to the table and decide to set the clock at 7:30.

I go in after the game to congratulate them, so I just asked. "How did you decide on 7:30?" The R told me that they did not have a clue as to the time that should have expired. So, he got both coaches to agree on the 7:30 OR they could continue play from the 7:56 mark.

My question to you guys; Would you have taken this common sense approach or would you have just stayed within the rule?
Neither. I would've tried to find where we had definite knowledge (backcourt counts, closely guarded counts) and taken that much time off.

Another reason to have someone look at the clock after every inbounds -- without pressure, no reason it can't be the person administering the throw-in.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

No offense, but excellent officials and over 2 possessions up and down the court and no one looked at the clock?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

and was there no one in the gym? They parents around here yell about the clock if its 2 seconds slow.

The approach they used seems like the best policy; input from both sides, build a consensus, and let's go. Everyone is happy. To the operator; "c'mon man!"
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know this is not typically why you would invoke this rule, but doesn't rule 5-5-3 apply here?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
would you have just stayed within the rule?
The coaches agreed to shorten the quarter / game. That's within the rule.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 08:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Sure, but we're not getting there if I'm working. Find a number of seconds, alter the clock, and move on.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
No offense, but excellent officials and over 2 possessions up and down the court and no one looked at the clock?
DC,

No offense taken. Excellent officials nonetheless. Two of them do D1 basketball.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 09:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Situations like this are why I always wore one of these during games to keep time. You don't have to worry about starting or stopping the clock.

Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 09:56am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Neither. I would've tried to find where we had definite knowledge (backcourt counts, closely guarded counts) and taken that much time off.

Another reason to have someone look at the clock after every inbounds -- without pressure, no reason it can't be the person administering the throw-in.
Excellent point. Make this part of the pre-game with your crew...along with any crew experiences with this table previously...good bad or indifferent.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 09:58am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Situations like this are why I always wore one of these during games to keep time. You don't have to worry about starting or stopping the clock.

Cloudy game days would be a b*tch.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sure, but we're not getting there if I'm working. Find a number of seconds, alter the clock, and move on.
Agreed. Someone is going to have had a count or two at this point. Might not get to 7:30, but we'll drop some time.