The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Timing issue, what to do?

Final minute of a contested game, foul called on 3 point shot, 3 shots awarded. Despite us telling the table and the players there were 3 shots, they all crowd in to rebound the second shot, and the clock may/or may not have clicked off a second in the mix. I am trail, and unfortunately I did not take note of the time remaining before the FTs were administered (note to self, I should probably do that in this situation), V coach wants time put back on, but I don't have definitive knowledge that any time has come off. What to do? Am I allowed to ask the table if any time was taken off? The table heard the whole conversation and didn't offer any information, but I didn't ask either.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:15pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Final minute of a contested game, foul called on 3 point shot, 3 shots awarded. Despite us telling the table and the players there were 3 shots, they all crowd in to rebound the second shot, and the clock may/or may not have clicked off a second in the mix. I am trail, and unfortunately I did not take note of the time remaining before the FTs were administered (note to self, I should probably do that in this situation), V coach wants time put back on, but I don't have definitive knowledge that any time has come off. What to do? Am I allowed to ask the table if any time was taken off? The table heard the whole conversation and didn't offer any information, but I didn't ask either.
You could ask the timer if they started the clock and if they remember the time but other than that you would need definite knowledge. Tough luck coach. That's why we always note the time and specify two shots remaining on a three point foul.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I would go in the following order:
1. Ask your partner(s) it they happened to note the time before the FTs.
2. As the timer if any time ran off. If yes, ask how much.

If you don't trust the timer, ask the scorer.

If you want to triple check, check with visitors' book sitting at the table.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

The table is part of the officiating crew

You can and should ask the table if time ran off the clock after checking with your partners. Then let both coaches know your decision.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes the book writes down the time of the foul. Sometimes, there's some "automated stats system" being used that has the time.

Use (almost) whatever you have.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

you would/can use an "automated stats" system to replace the time if all 3 officials and the table don't know??
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:01pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
you would/can use an "automated stats" system to replace the time if all 3 officials and the table don't know??
If there is a guy at the table with a computer doing stats I might ask him if he wrote down the time. If yes and his time seems reasonable, I'd use it.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:53pm
Often wrong never n doubt

I had this the other day. 12.9 remaining in 4th quarter. Ball is passed in but not tipped and goes out of bounds. Ball comes back to the spot but now there is 12.1 remaining. The problem was for some reason I couldn't remember if it was 12.9 or 12.6 I asked my partner who was not sure. I went to the timer and asked him. He said he screwed up and it was 12.9 We went with 12.9
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You should make a habit of checking game/shot clock during dead balls so you have the information in situations like this. Lesson Learned.

I would go right to the table and ask him if he started the clock. If so you can add .3 (which is the by rule timing of a touch by a player in the NCAA rulebook). But this involves knowledge that time ran off.... otherwise we have to go on with the remaining time on the clock.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
If so you can add .3 (which is the by rule timing of a touch by a player in the NCAA rulebook). But this involves knowledge that time ran off.... otherwise we have to go on with the remaining time on the clock.
Unfortunately, this is NOT part of the NFHS rules and thus it would be incorrect to apply during a HS game.