The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 03:37pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
For the record, we also do fist bumps, and I like that personally, but I did have a guy make the point once that what if a player makes some comment about, "you better call this right," or something while running by you? His point was that it just creates a situation of possible conflict. I disagree, I think the sportsmanship aspect far outweighs the possibility of problems.
If a player is enough of a knucklehead to say something like this during a pregame fist-bump, I rather suspect it wouldn't take them long to be served some T during the game even without a pregame fist-bump.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 03:37pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Has the 3-person revolution finally taken hold in WI? I grew up there and it certainly didn't exist in 1998 when I left (except for maybe a post-season all-star game here or there). I haven't seen a WIAA game since then, but along the way I heard that WI continued to lag behind in moving to 3-p. Just curious.
In Wisconsin, those that hire 3 are in a minority now. The conference that Rich assigns will be 3-person next year at $60 per official.

Another thing his state gets wrong.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sportsmanship aspect? What would that be?
I guess I mean just the gesture of shaking (or fist bump) the officials and opposing coach's hand.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
And this knucklehead will ONLY take the time to do this while he's running by you during intros??? GMAB. Let that guy know this is a solution in search of a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
If a player is enough of a knucklehead to say something like this during a pregame fist-bump, I rather suspect it wouldn't take them long to be served some T during the game even without a pregame fist-bump.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you both, it was just one reason that someone had given me for not liking the fist bump/hand shake
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Any Forum Members From Hawaii ???

A smart official wouldn't fist bump this guy:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 05:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
And what, pray tell, is wrong with pregame fist bumps?
Just more for us to watch. Waste of time. They can shake hands and fist bump before the opening toss. They do that anyway.

Regarding 2-person versus 3-person:

I moved here in 2002. Everything was 2-person then, even the post-season. To get 3-person work, I licensed in Illinois and worked about a dozen games there a season.

A majority of my games now are 3-person. Our entire post-season is 3-person, from the opening round until the state finals. I have made a personal decision to never schedule another 2-person game for myself (I have one more this year and maybe 2-3 next season) and I won't hire a 2-person crew for schools personally.

The conference I assign -- I've allowed crews to bring 3 to games all season. I didn't have any extra money for them this year, but as was said, next year all games are assigned 3-person for $60 per official, which is the going rate around here (and what we paid for 2 officials this season).

The thing our state gets wrong is not mandating 3 officials for varsity games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
In Wisconsin, those that hire 3 are in a minority now. The conference that Rich assigns will be 3-person next year at $60 per official.

Another thing his state gets wrong.
What, the $60? That's what our conference pays for 2-person now.

Some conferences only pay $50 for 3-person -- they cut the pay when they went to 3 officials. I strongly recommended that not happen for us.

Yes, our officials probably could make a bit more, but we're competitive with neighboring conferences.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The conference I assign -- I've allowed crews to bring 3 to games all season. I didn't have any extra money for them this year, but as was said, next year all games are assigned 3-person for $60 per official, which is the going rate around here (and what we paid for 2 officials this season).
Yikes, that's brutal. Up here in the conferences I work, all assign three officials. We were even fortunate to get our fees bumped to $80 or $85/official
for most of those conferences in the process. I guess I'll consider our area to be pretty fortunate.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 07:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000 View Post
Yikes, that's brutal. Up here in the conferences I work, all assign three officials. We were even fortunate to get our fees bumped to $80 or $85/official
for most of those conferences in the process. I guess I'll consider our area to be pretty fortunate.
I can probably guess those conferences -- didn't the pay increase come at the expense of mileage reimbursement? Some of the drives in that part of the state are L-O-N-G, too.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can probably guess those conferences -- didn't the pay increase come at the expense of mileage reimbursement? Some of the drives in that part of the state are L-O-N-G, too.
Yeah, no mileage. Probably one or two games per conference where it's over an hour one way trip. Most are 20-45 minutes, that's a trade I'm willing to make. Interesting story about fees I heard thru the grapevine..one conference heard that a rival conference was paying $80/game and the schools said OK we'll pay $85. So much for fiscal responsibility.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 08:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yeah, no mileage. Probably one or two games per conference where it's over an hour one way trip. Most are 20-45 minutes, that's a trade I'm willing to make. Interesting story about fees I heard thru the grapevine..one conference heard that a rival conference was paying $80/game and the schools said OK we'll pay $85. So much for fiscal responsibility.
I'm all for raising rates...I personally think it's due. But he rates haven't moved much in years down here. Adding a third costs each school $60 a game. Better to have 3 at $60 than 2 at a higher rate...for now.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm all for raising rates...I personally think it's due. But he rates haven't moved much in years down here. Adding a third costs each school $60 a game. Better to have 3 at $60 than 2 at a higher rate...for now.
Wow. So you're saying I could make $85 doing a Hayward/Bloomer 3-p game in the north woods, or $60 doing a King/Bay View 2-p game in urban Milwaukee.

Where in God's green earth is the logic in that?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Wow. So you're saying I could make $85 doing a Hayward/Bloomer 3-p game in the north woods, or $60 doing a King/Bay View 2-p game in urban Milwaukee.

Where in God's green earth is the logic in that?
All of SE Wisconsin is 3-person.