The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Block/Charge/No Call

Question ? If an offensive plaver tries to split 2 defensive players that are just
standing , facing in a legal guarding position (the player on offense falls down

ie tripping over feet or legs) is it a block/charge or no call
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm just interested. Based on your description of the play, why would a Blocking foul be an option?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Offense falls down

If he falls down with the ball, I have a travel. If he releases the ball before falling down, I probably have nothing.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Block/Charge No Call

The reason I submitted this one was to get views from other officials whenever this situation has happens I've see all three results at all levels
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

If the defender didn't extend a leg into the opponents path, I can't see a blocking foul. If the defenders maintained LGP, then it sounds like a no-call to me (or a travel). I'd explain to the coach if asked that the defenders were legal and that they have no obligation to move out of the offensive players path.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habram View Post
The reason I submitted this one was to get views from other officials whenever this situation has happens I've see all three results at all levels
You will get different calls depending on the specifics. No two plays are the same, even if they look similar. The officials must take into account a couple of factors, including whether there was a reasonable space between the two defensive players for the offense to attempt to go through

"There must be reasonable space between two defensive players or a defensive player and a boundary line to allow the dribbler to continue in his/her path. If there is less than 3 feet of space, the dribbler has the greater responsibility for the contact."

and whether or not the defense maintained legal guarding position

"A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs."
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 10:09am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Question ? If an offensive plaver tries to split 2 defensive players that are just standing , facing in a legal guarding position (the player on offense falls down ie tripping over feet or legs) is it a block/charge or no call
Good question. Before considering "What I would do..." responses, verify whether the books provide a definitive answer.

10.6.7 SITUATION: During congested play in the free-throw semicircle, B1 and B2 are less than 3 feet apart when dribbler A1 fakes to one side and then causes contact in attempting to dribble between them. RULING: Unless one of the defensive players is faked out of position to permit adequate space for the dribbler to go between without making contact, it is a player-control foul on A1.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Good question. Before considering "What I would do..." responses, verify whether the books provide a definitive answer.

10.6.7 SITUATION: During congested play in the free-throw semicircle, B1 and B2 are less than 3 feet apart when dribbler A1 fakes to one side and then causes contact in attempting to dribble between them. RULING: Unless one of the defensive players is faked out of position to permit adequate space for the dribbler to go between without making contact, it is a player-control foul on A1.
Note that the case play assumes that the "contact" caused the defense to be put at a disadvantage (not perform normal defensive maneuvers).

Much of the time when the offense tries to split the defense, the defense isn't so disadvantaged and a no-call on the contact is correct.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If one of the results is a blocking foul, then I'm going to assume that the official saw the defender do something to lose LGP.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 10:37am
Stubborn Member

Just ask yourself "what did the defense do wrong?" If the answer is "nothing", then you can't have a foul on them.

From there ask "what did the dribbler do wrong?" The answer to that will take you to your response (should there be one).