The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warmups (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99230-warmups.html)

Valley Man Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:07pm

Warmups

14:58 left in pre-game warmups. Visiting team goes to the lockerroom. Home team decides to run some fast break drills up and down the full length of the floor. Legal?

billyu2 Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 953563)
14:58 left in pre-game warmups. Visiting team goes to the lockerroom. Home team decides to run some fast break drills up and down the full length of the floor. Legal?

No. Don't have my books handy but I believe there is something written to the effect each team is entitled to the opposite half of the court from their team bench for warmups

Nevadaref Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 953564)
No. Don't have my books handy but I believe there is something written to the effect each team is entitled to the opposite half of the court from their team bench for warmups

It was a POE a few seasons ago and used the exact example in the OP.
You won't find it in the current books though.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32pm

NCAAW just came out with an interp that it's illegal there, too.

Surprised me.

AremRed Wed Feb 04, 2015 03:57am

Speaking of warm ups, there are many officials in my state who insist on staying opposite the table the entire time before the game including warm ups, national anthem, and player introductions. I prefer to go across and stand in front of the table once the teams go to their benches. What do you do in your area?

JeffM Wed Feb 04, 2015 04:41am

Virginia...In my association, we greet the coaches around the 2:00 min mark, then we stay by the table for the national anthem and player introductions. During player introductions, we "fist bump" the players after they leave their bench and before they shake the opposing coach's hand. After player introductions we take off our jackets before going to our spots on the floor.

dsqrddgd909 Wed Feb 04, 2015 08:38am

"If during the pregame or halftime warmup
period one team leaves the floor, the
other team should not use the entire
court; teams should only warm-up on
their half of the court. "

http://dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/Files/downlo...%20Changes.pdf

3. If during the pre-game or half-time warm-up one team leaves the floor, the other team may
not use the entire court; teams may only warm up on their half of the court.
http://tapps.net/wp-content/uploads/...section151.pdf

"If during the pregame or halftime warm-up period one team
leaves the floor, the other team should not use the entire
court; teams should only warm up on their half of the court."
http://www.kshsaa.org/Publications/december.pdf

scrounge Wed Feb 04, 2015 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 953585)
Virginia...In my association, we greet the coaches around the 2:00 min mark, then we stay by the table for the national anthem and player introductions. During player introductions, we "fist bump" the players after they leave their bench and before they shake the opposing coach's hand. After player introductions we take off our jackets before going to our spots on the floor.

That's essentially the same thing we used to do in central OH. This year, some coach in the largest HS conf complained about or didn't want to do handshakes and didn't want to be seen as unsportsmanlike, so the conf eliminated them, mandating that teams stay near their bench. Seems silly to me but whatever.

Rich Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:03am

No pregame handshakes in WI.

Anthem first.

Starters are introduced. All 5 visitors, then all 5 home. They go to the free throw line nearest their benches. No handshakes with officials.

Another thing our state gets right.

AremRed Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 953619)
No pregame handshakes in WI.

Anthem first.

Starters are introduced. All 5 visitors, then all 5 home. They go to the free throw line nearest their benches. No handshakes with officials.

Another thing our state gets right.

And what, pray tell, is wrong with pregame fist bumps?

frezer11 Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 953623)
And what, pray tell, is wrong with pregame fist bumps?

For the record, we also do fist bumps, and I like that personally, but I did have a guy make the point once that what if a player makes some comment about, "you better call this right," or something while running by you? His point was that it just creates a situation of possible conflict. I disagree, I think the sportsmanship aspect far outweighs the possibility of problems.

crosscountry55 Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 953619)
WI....Another thing our state gets right.

Has the 3-person revolution finally taken hold in WI? I grew up there and it certainly didn't exist in 1998 when I left (except for maybe a post-season all-star game here or there). I haven't seen a WIAA game since then, but along the way I heard that WI continued to lag behind in moving to 3-p. Just curious.

zm1283 Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 953630)
For the record, we also do fist bumps, and I like that personally, but I did have a guy make the point once that what if a player makes some comment about, "you better call this right," or something while running by you? His point was that it just creates a situation of possible conflict. I disagree, I think the sportsmanship aspect far outweighs the possibility of problems.

We do the whole fist bump with the officials/shake the opposing coaches hand routine and I really think it is pretty silly. I would be fine with just introducing the players after the anthem and getting started.

Adam Wed Feb 04, 2015 01:08pm

Quote:

Sportsmanship aspect? What would that be?

Rooster Wed Feb 04, 2015 03:23pm

Quote:

...but I did have a guy make the point once that what if a player makes some comment about, "you better call this right," or something while running by you? His point was that it just creates a situation of possible conflict.

And this knucklehead will ONLY take the time to do this while he's running by you during intros??? :rolleyes: GMAB. Let that guy know this is a solution in search of a problem.