The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Your only mistake was counting the bucket. The ball becomes dead at the time of the infraction unless it's in flight on a try.

By rule a try is a legal attempt at one's own basket so this isn't a try. Ball is dead at the time of the infraction so no points scored. Also the max anyone can score on an opponents basket is 2 points.

Other than that you were right to shoot 1&1. In my old association, in a televised game, with an official that moved up way faster than he was ready to (plus his partner is also to blame) had a game winning shot at the buzzer on the wrong basket.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Your only mistake was counting the bucket. The ball becomes dead at the time of the infraction unless it's in flight on a try.
Option B (although less likely) is that the ball was through the basket at the time of the contact. In this instance, count the basket, but ignore the contact unless it was Intentional or Flagrant.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 11:09am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't think that he is, but his diction comes across that way. I've learned that speaking and writing in an immature manner doesn't create a positive impression in the professional world.
So what? Does his diction make his points any less valid? And FYI we're not in the professional world here Nevada.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:16pm
Stubborn Member

Since the shot by green was at the wrong basket, it is not... by rule... a shot attempt. Therefore the foul does indeed kill the play, meaning that anything that happens after that doesn't count. The basket happened after the foul, so the basket does not count.

However, in this case, the foul would lead to a bonus free throw. Basically, it's treated just like any other common foul. The fact that green was in the shooting motion means nothing.

BTW, if it wasn't for the foul by white, the not-actually-a-shot by green would lead to two points for white (no player would get credit for the points, just a footnote on how white got those two extra points).
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 01:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post
I know its not a try, because there's no such thing as an attempted shot at the wrong basket, but you've opened up a little discussion here so. . .

Player A gets the ball and just does a routine lay-up at the opponent's basket, unbeknownst to him/her that's not their basket and it goes in - no foul, no anything.

You're wiping it and calling it a violation because you can't have a try at the wrong basket?
No, we're saying that the ball becomes dead on a foul. The exception that allows an "and one" is when the shooting motion has been started. In this case, that doesn't apply, so all you have is a dead ball going through the basket.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Player A gets the ball and just does a routine lay-up at the opponent's basket, unbeknownst to him/her that's not their basket and it goes in - no foul, no anything.
I'm sure this has been discussed before but is the above scenario considered a double dribble? Assuming the routine layup is from the dribble and banked in.

Edit: and therefore the basket is not counted.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed before but is the above scenario considered a double dribble? Assuming the routine layup is from the dribble and banked in.

Edit: and therefore the basket is not counted.
Only if the "shot" is missed and A1 is the first to touch the ball.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But, so even if there's no foul, the moment that a player goes for a try at the wrong basket, you just blow it dead?
If a player "throws" the ball and it goes in the opponents basket the two points count. This could be from an errant/tipped pass or if they accidentally shoot at the wrong basket.

As already pointed out, even if said throw by Team A was from beyond the 3 point line it would only count as two. Even if it was tipped by a Team B player its just two points since this is still not a try.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 12:37am
Administrator

I know that there have been times over the years that I have wanted to whack my partner, but that would have meant me having to drag his body out to the van, driving out into the desert, and digging a deep and large hole. I am sorry, you meant the other kind of whack.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
A1 drives the lane and is called for a player control foul. After the call is made, he makes a comment to the calling official, who then assess a techincal foul to A1. Calling official then hears a comment from behind, "That was a good call!", so he blows his whistle for a technical on B1, who was the player that took the charge on the play.
Late to this thread, but why would this be a technical foul on B1? Does anyone else issue a technical foul for positive comments from players? Hardly seems unsporting to me, and the whole situation in the OP would have been avoided had the official not been so anxious to whack people.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 08:53am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Late to this thread, but why would this be a technical foul on B1? Does anyone else issue a technical foul for positive comments from players? Hardly seems unsporting to me, and the whole situation in the OP would have been avoided had the official not been so anxious to whack people.

If it is dripping with sarcasim the comment might get a TF.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If it is dripping with sarcasim the comment might get a TF.

MTD, Sr.
I would also strongly consider it if it was pretty sarcastic. That said, even if he didn't recognize the voice, you'd think he could tell that his partner's words were NOT sarcastic!! Another reason to not guess!!