The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Last night, girls' middle school game. Moments after my partner administers a Team B throw-in following a time out, I hear the Team A bench hollering, "They've got six players out there."

Sure enough...Tweet. As I turn to the table to signal "Technical Foul, Team B," my younger, but experienced partner with whom I've worked many times, comes running toward me loudly declaring, "Wait a minute. It's our fault. We can't give them a T. We screwed up."

Of course, we did. Take your time, count the players and all that. Nevertheless, here we are.

We're in the middle of the floor. I explain that "our fault or not, the rules say it's a T." My partner won't back down, insisting we can't assess a technical in this situation. I'm not going to have an argument right there, so I relent. No T, but inside I'm fuming -- some of that is directed toward myself for not standing up for what I'm sure is right, but more at my partner for being so adamant and so wrong . I tell him I'll look it up after the game. Which I do.

Later, I show him the Case Book ruling. No apology. No comment. No nothing.

We work our final game tomorrow. Glad of it. I think the best thing for me is to learn from the situation.

Sven
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Tough situation to be in, you are torn between saying "you are stupid" on the floor and biting your tongue, knowing you are right. I let mine have it in the locker room after the game, twice this year.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

I still have a lot to learn so when I am on the floor with a more experienced, senior partner I will give my view on an issue on which we differ once in a very short, concise statement. If he still differs then follow his view, get the game going and later after the game look it up and research it together. I have been fortunate this season in having been correct in the few times that it happened when we checked later, but I do not feel the game nor our image is enhanced by arguring or drawing out a discussion during the game with a senior partner. (I am talking about quite a bit more experienced.) None of these instances affected the outcome of the game.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 01:41pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Had the exact same sitch, except that my partner wasn't making eye contact with me and started to administer the ball and I had my hand up to let him know we were not ready. He called the "T" and I corrected the sitch by letting him know why I had to change it. The coach understood as well.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 04:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
Last night, girls' middle school game. Moments after my partner administers a Team B throw-in following a time out, I hear the Team A bench hollering, "They've got six players out there."

Sure enough...Tweet. As I turn to the table to signal "Technical Foul, Team B," my younger, but experienced partner with whom I've worked many times, comes running toward me loudly declaring, "Wait a minute. It's our fault. We can't give them a T. We screwed up."

Of course, we did. Take your time, count the players and all that. Nevertheless, here we are.

We're in the middle of the floor. I explain that "our fault or not, the rules say it's a T." My partner won't back down, insisting we can't assess a technical in this situation. I'm not going to have an argument right there, so I relent. No T, but inside I'm fuming -- some of that is directed toward myself for not standing up for what I'm sure is right, but more at my partner for being so adamant and so wrong . I tell him I'll look it up after the game. Which I do.

Later, I show him the Case Book ruling. No apology. No comment. No nothing.

We work our final game tomorrow. Glad of it. I think the best thing for me is to learn from the situation.

Sven
This is a referee's fault. No T.

Mike
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Guess I am missing something in the rulebook, Mike. Could you tell me what page that is on...
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 09:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Guess I am missing something in the rulebook, Mike. Could you tell me what page that is on...
It's on the same page that describes other methods on how to get to the next level.

Mike
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I'm all for good game management. We have to take a full dose of common sense out along with our arsenal of rules!

If six teammates are on the floor when the ball becomes live as a direct result of an error by either official, blow the whistle, correct the error, bow and scrape to the coaches and play ball.

If it's caused by the players milling about in a confused state and a lapse of preventive officiating, call the T, especially at the middle school level. A well coached team sends its players on the court and the redundant players hustle out. Enforcement here will reap dividends in a few years!
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I dont have my books right here but I believe it says something about more than 5 players "participating". I use this in lower level games.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
I'm all for good game management. We have to take a full dose of common sense out along with our arsenal of rules!

If six teammates are on the floor when the ball becomes live as a direct result of an error by either official, blow the whistle, correct the error, bow and scrape to the coaches and play ball.

If it's caused by the players milling about in a confused state and a lapse of preventive officiating, call the T, especially at the middle school level. A well coached team sends its players on the court and the redundant players hustle out. Enforcement here will reap dividends in a few years!
I'm siding with Tharbert. I say count and get it right. Now if a player enters illegally, Whack. Well, at certain levels. I did a kids rec game where a kid got confused and walked in play right after an the ball became live. No Whack here....stop play...ask the coach for a little help and lets move on. Athletic leagues or Jr High, of course that is a different story. I guess bottom line...there is a time and place for this T. Preventative officiating goes a long way here.

Larks....Lets see....10 players...10 fingers....I can do this!