The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Whacking your partner?

This is a pretty damn funny situation I heard about that happened in our area this past Friday night.

A1 drives the lane and is called for a player control foul. After the call is made, he makes a comment to the calling official, who then assess a techincal foul to A1. Calling official then hears a comment from behind, "That was a good call!", so he blows his whistle for a technical on B1, who was the player that took the charge on the play.

R1 reports the PC foul and both technical fouls to the table, then he turns around to find one of his partners standing right there to tell him something:
U2: "Um, R1, that was me that made that comment."
R1: "What?"
U2: "That was me that said, 'That was a good call!'"
R1: (turning towards table): "Erase the technical foul on B1."

U2 then got to explain to B Head Coach why the technical foul against the visitors was being erased.

You can't make this stuff up!!
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing that would make that better would be for coach B to complain after having the technical foul erased.

Different setup, but I had that happen once after I elected, after blowing the whistle and consulting with my partner but before reporting, to not call the T. I explained it to both coaches. The one who would have been shooting for the T was fine with it but the one who was saved a T found something to complain about.

My only response to the coach was "Are you really complaining about not calling a T on your own player?" and I walked away with that...SMH.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 11:59pm
Barely $.02 cents worth

Back in the day when I was officiating HS, I had a boys varsity game where its a 4-pt game with like 2:30 to play in the 4th qtr. . .

Visiting team (green) is on defense and one of their players gets the rebound, but for some reason, decides to shoot at the opponent's basket. . .

Home team (white) has a player who decides not to let him shoot and clobbers him, but the ball goes in. . .

My partner at lead, blows his whistle super-loud runs up and scores it as an "And 1!"

Green player is all pumped up like "Yeah, yeah, yeah" and meanwhile his team and coach are screaming at him, like "What are you doing?"

So, I'm a trail and I cut my partner off, and he's like "What's wrong?"

I'm like, "You just gave an and-1 to a player who shot at the wrong basket"

He's like, "Oh" (now really confused) - "What do we do now"

To wrap this up, we counted the foul and the bucket, but green is in bonus on their end for 1&1 (8 team fouls). . .

So now, here's where the circus and calamity starts. . .

The white team head coach is now upset because he's not getting what he feels is a merited FT because my partner called a foul.

I explain to him that by rule, they don't get awarded a free throw for a player scoring a basket for them.

Now, he's livid, and he's giving me the business. . .

Move on to the green team. . .

So, we go to green's end where we are going to shoot 1 and 1, and now the green team head coach is screaming that his player should be shooting 2 shots because it was an attempted shot. . .

Again, I go over there and repeatedly explain that by rule, there's no such thing as an attempted shot at the wrong basket so therefore, his player doesn't get awarded for a shooting foul.

Meanwhile, my partner (who looked great in calling the foul, very dramatic and all), but who took this all sideways is now asking me why isn't the player shooting 2 shots because he took a shot down there. . .

I explain to him.

Long story short, we get it all done and both coaches are screaming at me at the end of the game because they felt I screwed it all up and my partner got all the accolades.

Both coaches called the HS assignor together and it was a fascinating explanation that my HS assignor couldn't believe that this play actually happened. . .

The joys of officiating.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:13am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post
Back in the day when I was officiating HS, I had a boys varsity game where its a 4-pt game with like 2:30 to play in the 4th qtr. . .

Visiting team (green) is on defense and one of their players gets the rebound, but for some reason, decides to shoot at the opponent's basket. . .

Home team (white) has a player who decides not to let him shoot and clobbers him, but the ball goes in. . .

My partner at lead, blows his whistle super-loud runs up and scores it as an "And 1!"

Green player is all pumped up like "Yeah, yeah, yeah" and meanwhile his team and coach are screaming at him, like "What are you doing?"

So, I'm a trail and I cut my partner off, and he's like "What's wrong?"

I'm like, "You just gave an and-1 to a player who shot at the wrong basket"

He's like, "Oh" (now really confused) - "What do we do now"

To wrap this up, we counted the foul and the bucket, but green is in bonus on their end for 1&1 (8 team fouls). . .

So now, here's where the circus and calamity starts. . .

The white team head coach is now upset because he's not getting what he feels is a merited FT because my partner called a foul.

I explain to him that by rule, they don't get awarded a free throw for a player scoring a basket for them.

Now, he's livid, and he's giving me the business. . .

Move on to the green team. . .

So, we go to green's end where we are going to shoot 1 and 1, and now the green team head coach is screaming that his player should be shooting 2 shots because it was an attempted shot. . .

Again, I go over there and repeatedly explain that by rule, there's no such thing as an attempted shot at the wrong basket so therefore, his player doesn't get awarded for a shooting foul.

Meanwhile, my partner (who looked great in calling the foul, very dramatic and all), but who took this all sideways is now asking me why isn't the player shooting 2 shots because he took a shot down there. . .

I explain to him.

Long story short, we get it all done and both coaches are screaming at me at the end of the game because they felt I screwed it all up and my partner got all the accolades.

Both coaches called the HS assignor together and it was a fascinating explanation that my HS assignor couldn't believe that this play actually happened. . .

The joys of officiating.
You counted the bucket?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:16am
Barely $.02 cents worth

Yes, are you saying that should've been a violation and we wipe it because you can't have an attempted shot at the wrong basket?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:17am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Yes, are you saying that should've been a violation and we wipe it because you can't have an attempted shot at the wrong basket?
A shot at the opponents basket is not a try. Ball is dead on the foul.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's your mistake right there. You can't count the bucket.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:21am
Barely $.02 cents worth

I know its not a try, because there's no such thing as an attempted shot at the wrong basket, but you've opened up a little discussion here so. . .

Player A gets the ball and just does a routine lay-up at the opponent's basket, unbeknownst to him/her that's not their basket and it goes in - no foul, no anything.

You're wiping it and calling it a violation because you can't have a try at the wrong basket?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:22am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A shot at the opponents basket is not a try. Ball is dead on the foul.
Yep. Wipe the bucket, go to correct end and shoot bonus. Get both coaches together and explain what happened at the same time so you're not going to each separately.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:28am
Barely $.02 cents worth

I know we scored it, so that's on us. . .

I know that in college, its a violation for a try at shooting at the wrong basket. . .

But, so even if there's no foul, the moment that a player goes for a try at the wrong basket, you just blow it dead?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I know its not a try, because there's no such thing as an attempted shot at the wrong basket, but you've opened up a little discussion here so. . .

Player A gets the ball and just does a routine lay-up at the opponent's basket, unbeknownst to him/her that's not their basket and it goes in - no foul, no anything.

You're wiping it and calling it a violation because you can't have a try at the wrong basket?
That's not it. It doesn't have to be a try to score. But a foul does not cause the ball to become dead if a try is in flight. In your situation, the foul causes the ball to be dead immediately.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know we scored it, so that's on us. . .

I know that in college, its a violation for a try at shooting at the wrong basket. . .

But, so even if there's no foul, the moment that a player goes for a try at the wrong basket, you just blow it dead?
Still wrong. It is a violation to shoot at the wrong basket in the NBA.

Also, the impression that your first post gives is that you are a teenager because of the heavy usage of "like."
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 01:52am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Still wrong. It is a violation to shoot at the wrong basket in the NBA.

Also, the impression that your first post gives is that you are a teenager because of the heavy usage of "like."
If it is true that Referee24.7 is indeed still a teenager that would mean that he would have had to join The Forum no older than 12 years, 1 month old.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

I don't think that he is, but his diction comes across that way. I've learned that speaking and writing in an immature manner doesn't create a positive impression in the professional world.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

And then there's this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7
Back in the day when I was officiating HS