The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrroo View Post
This is a 7th grade Catholic school league where very few of the players will move on to HS ball.
Your odds of getting consistent calls on this type of thing at this level (at least in most places) just aren't great. The better you can teach, the better. But you will get refs who are just wrong, or just don't watch carefully. IMO, one of the best tools you can give your players for sports (and life) is to be aware of what is getting called. If a ref is calling somthing today, players need to adjust - whether it is three in the key, travelling, types of fouls, etc. This is true not only at MS level, but as (if) they progress - the distinctions and awareness just becomes more subtle.

Example: I help coach my son's 8th grade team, and we had a ref that was calling three seconds (at least on the big guys) after about 2.5 seconds. We talked to our big guys about getting in and out faster, and didn't have calls in the second half. Alternatively, we and they could have just kept complaining about the call all game -- and the refs would have just kept calling it and our team would have suffered -- even if we were "right."
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 01:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

I think this is a travel, thought that on the first viewing and I don't think it's particularly all that close. I'm also not the one that will look for a travel in every little thing that goes on.

This is an attempt at a jump stop but it is not a legal jump stop. Even if you have him gathering in the air, he comes down with his left foot first as the pivot which wouldn't be technically a jump stop either but would be legal.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 01:33pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrroo View Post
OP still here and digesting all the comments (and quite appreciative).

What I've learned is that it's a difficult call (esp from the video and maybe from the refs position -- i.e -- when it's not called, the ref may just have a bad view).

And I've been working with the player on when he gathers and how he lands.
Things that I haven't taught well before.

This is a 7th grade Catholic school league where very few of the players will move on to HS ball.
Coach, glad to see you're still here. You've seen this move many times, so you tell us. In general, and in this clip in particular, when do you see him catching the ball to end the dribble? And were you here because you thought this was a bad call or did you not know the specifics of the rule?

I am on the side who says this is indeed a travel, and not that close to being legal.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 31, 2015, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Coach, glad to see you're still here. You've seen this move many times, so you tell us. In general, and in this clip in particular, when do you see him catching the ball to end the dribble? And were you here because you thought this was a bad call or did you not know the specifics of the rule?

I am on the side who says this is indeed a travel, and not that close to being legal.
In this clip, I think he ends his dribble with his right foot on the ground. Before reading this, I didn't know to look for that (I know, pretty bad coaching). So therefore, a travel.

I'm not shy about saying if I think something is bad call. In this case, I really just didn't understand the inconsistency. I feel much more comfortable now. And the player has already made improvements.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

So I've learned a lot and adjusted the coaching points. So 2 more examples from a recent game.
I think example 1 is illegal. And example 2 is legal. I've left out the ref making any calls because that's not important. Am I seeing it correctly?

example 1 (illegal) - trying to execute a jump stop but gathers with 1 foot still on the ground and then lands one foot at at time
example 2 (legal)- another jump stop but lands on both feet

(in case embed doesn't work: http://youtu.be/yzzFB9z2qJw)

Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Correct.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

The game is more enjoyable when you understand the rules.