Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 09:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Bump for APG
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

This looks like a blocked shot on some level. It does look like he was trying to adjust his shot and probably changed his mind, but I think the defender touched the ball which I would have no violation in that case. At least that is by the angle we are seeing.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 06:19pm
We don't rent pigs

Violation. Even if he did touch the ball, and it's hard to say from this angle, the touch definitely didn't prevent the release.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 07:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Violation. Even if he did touch the ball, and it's hard to say from this angle, the touch definitely didn't prevent the release.
I thought you wouldn't call a violation if another teammate was in the area?

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 19, 2015 at 02:05am.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree...touch is not enough to make it legal, the touch has to prevent the release....as in a held ball. You don't call a held ball just because opposing teams touch the ball at the same time.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 07:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree...touch is not enough to make it legal, the touch has to prevent the release....as in a held ball. You don't call a held ball just because opposing teams touch the ball at the same time.
NCAA rules are different. They have to come back to the floor with the ball unlike the NF rule to have a held ball.

Again, I see this as a blocked shot more than anything. It does look like the shooter tried to change something mid-air but it appears the ball was still kind of knocked out of his hand. If I had any doubt, that is what I would go with an not call a violation. But I am willing to go with a violation if I see a better angle or closer slow-motion view.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Wrong. Player's pivot foot left the floor before he released the ball for the dribble. Traveling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Wofford @ UT-C
12:35 of 2nd half
MASN (cable network)

A1 goes up to shoot, then changes mind and looks to A2, who has moved from his and doesn't know A1 was looking to him. A1 drops the ball behind A2.

Who says that is a travel right away?
Who doesn't? (me)

Where's a poll when you need one.

BTW, after the ball hits the floor, B1 touches ball first just before A1 does. Play is no-called and B1 ended up with possession.
the example given is not detailed enough, did A1 dropped the ball while still in the air? because what i see the ball left A1 before he landed, whether it was a shot/block/pass/drop doesn't matter.

if A1 becomes the 1st person to touch the ball he intentionally dropped or passed then it's a violation.

but then again after watching the video clearly it's a violation. It was no longer a blocked shot when the shooter decides to lob the ball out, apparently he was the 1st player to touch the ball despite not able to get possession, it was not a fumble so he's not allowed to be the 1st player to touch the ball again, which he intentionally did. Traveling? Double dribble?

Last edited by potato; Sun Jan 18, 2015 at 07:47pm.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I literally posted a clip of the play in question potato
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 08:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I thought you wouldn't call a violation of another teammate was in the area?

I wouldn't call it immediately if a teammate was in the area. But he was the first to touch, which seals the deal no matter what.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
i hear what your saying but i think rules require the touch.
Nope. We've had this conversation on the forum several times. The rule for a dribble does not require the ball to be touched after pushing it to the floor.

4.15.4 SITUATION A:

As dribbler A1 attempts to change directions to avoid guard B1, he/she allows the ball to come to rest in one hand in bringing the ball from the right to the left side of the body. A1 pushes the ball to the floor in an attempt to continue the dribble.

RULING: When A1 palmed/carried the ball, the dribble ended and when he/she pushed the ball to the floor a violation occurred. (9-5)
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't call it immediately if a teammate was in the area. But he was the first to touch, which seals the deal no matter what.
but not on the 1st page. i have edited it after seeing the video and added comments before you posted though...
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
RULING: When A1 palmed/carried the ball, the dribble ended and when he/she pushed the ball to the floor a violation occurred. (9-5)
Well question comes down to how do you determine if it's a Dribble, Pass, Dropped ball & how often would the refs treat such scenarios as a start of a dribble unless the player went & touch/bounce the ball again after ended his dribble. But of course due to the rules being written in black & white, it's technically possible to call any missed bounce pass as a start of a "dribble".

Wouldn't you consider how the play goes & how A1 reacts after he dropped the ball on the floor, and immediately calls for a double dribble the moment the ball bounces on the floor, in this case?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A subsequent touch is not necessary to define a dribble.
I agree. What is the definition of a dribble? Dropping the ball behind a team ate would be a pass in my book, not a dribble. However I would like to see the play to make final ruling.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 01:12am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
I agree. What is the definition of a dribble? Dropping the ball behind a team ate would be a pass in my book, not a dribble. However I would like to see the play to make final ruling.

The definition of a dribble is to push the ball to the floor, one or more times. If the ball is not directed toward another player, I see it as a dribble, whether it is touched again or not.

Lonesome Dove