The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The definition of a dribble is to push the ball to the floor, one or more times. If the ball is not directed toward another player, I see it as a dribble, whether it is touched again or not.
even if the player intended to pass but due to the situation can only bounce a pass not directed toward another teammate? have anyone actually seen such calls? i mean if it did i believe everyone except the ref who whistled it would be in ?????? mode.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 01:54am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
even if the player intended to pass but due to the situation can only bounce a pass not directed toward another teammate? have anyone actually seen such calls? i mean if it did i believe everyone except the ref who whistled it would be in ?????? mode.

I don't mean a bad pass. I mean a player who end a dribble, gives a head fake, then forgets and pushes the ball straight to the floor and heads to the basket. I'm talking about a player who drops the ball straight to the floor to avoid having his shot blocked. As always, judgment is involved.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 02:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
I agree. What is the definition of a dribble? Dropping the ball behind a team ate would be a pass in my book, not a dribble. However I would like to see the play to make final ruling.
The video is posted above.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 02:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
the example given is not detailed enough, did A1 dropped the ball while still in the air? because what i see the ball left A1 before he landed, whether it was a shot/block/pass/drop doesn't matter.

if A1 becomes the 1st person to touch the ball he intentionally dropped or passed then it's a violation.

but then again after watching the video clearly it's a violation. It was no longer a blocked shot when the shooter decides to lob the ball out, apparently he was the 1st player to touch the ball despite not able to get possession, it was not a fumble so he's not allowed to be the 1st player to touch the ball again, which he intentionally did. Traveling? Double dribble?
What additional details did you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
A1 goes up to shoot, then changes mind and looks to A2, who has moved from his and doesn't know A1 was looking to him. A1 drops the ball behind A2.
BTW, after the ball hits the floor, B1 touches ball first just before A1 does. Play is no-called and B1 ended up with possession.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 02:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I wouldn't call it immediately if a teammate was in the area. But he was the first to touch, which seals the deal no matter what.
He wasn't the first to touch. The defender got his hand underneath and got to the ball first.

Obviously if A1 is the first to touch, it's a travel.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't mean a bad pass. I mean a player who end a dribble, gives a head fake, then forgets and pushes the ball straight to the floor and heads to the basket. I'm talking about a player who drops the ball straight to the floor to avoid having his shot blocked. As always, judgment is involved.
but previously you mentioned what happens after the player "drops" the ball doesn't really matter it can still be treated as a start of a new dribble when the ball bounces the floor, whether or not the same player touches the ball after the bounce, the case you are referring to is clearly a double dribble. but we were talking about player getting called for double dribble just by dropping/bouncing the ball on the ground without touching the ball after the bounce.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He wasn't the first to touch. The defender got his hand underneath and got to the ball first.

Obviously if A1 is the first to touch, it's a travel.
isn't it a double dribble? by dropping the ball and being the 1st touch the ball after the drop.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What additional details did you need?
well the written story ended with A1 dropping the ball, the video clearly shows more after the drop...

Last edited by potato; Mon Jan 19, 2015 at 09:27pm.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't a patient whistle solve most of this. If he drops it and teammate collects it: pass. If he drops it and the other team recovers it: turnover we're still playing. If he drops it and then tries to gather it again you could apply the travel or double dribble depending on your interp of his actions. I understand that we want an absolute she can or can't do x, but in these situations isn't it just as effective to hold off on your whistle and let the play sort itself out with no debate about intent vs result.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 10:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
well the written story ended with A1 dropping the ball, the video clearly shows more after the drop.
You need to go back and read again.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Doesn't a patient whistle solve most of this. If he drops it and teammate collects it: pass. If he drops it and the other team recovers it: turnover we're still playing. If he drops it and then tries to gather it again you could apply the travel or double dribble depending on your interp of his actions. I understand that we want an absolute she can or can't do x, but in these situations isn't it just as effective to hold off on your whistle and let the play sort itself out with no debate about intent vs result.
That's how I look at it.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 03:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The defender got his hand underneath and got to the ball first.
I missed it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 03:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Here's the deal, for those who haven't heard it before. As cited earlier by Nevada, when a dribble is illegal it occurs when the ball is pushed to the floor.

4.15.4 SITUATION A:

As dribbler A1 attempts to change directions to avoid guard B1, he/she allows the ball to come to rest in one hand in bringing the ball from the right to the left side of the body. A1 pushes the ball to the floor in an attempt to continue the dribble.

RULING: When A1 palmed/carried the ball, the dribble ended and when he/she pushed the ball to the floor a violation occurred. (9-5)

People say you can't judge intent. You can judge intent. We do it all the time on fouls. Two shots? Worst case scenario is this. A1 goes up to shoot, sees his shot will be blocked and drops the ball straight to the floor. He then assumes an aggressive stance and tries to screen the defender away from the ball while yelling to his teammate: "Hey, A2! Come get the ball. I can't touch it!" B1 then takes a swipe at the ball and knocks it out of bounds. If you didn't call the violation immediately, you give the ball back to Team A. I think this is wrong.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Push It (Salt-N-Pepa, 1986) ...

Quote:
... when a dribble is illegal it occurs when the ball is pushed to the floor.
But one can also start a legal bounce pass when "the ball is pushed to the floor".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 19, 2015 at 04:45pm.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 07:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
But one can also start a legal bounce pass when "the ball is pushed to the floor".
A try which touches nothing may also hit the floor and the player may legally go and pick it up, but I have to judge that it was a try. If a player pushes/drops/throws the ball straight to the floor and there is no teammate there to retrieve the ball immediately, this is not a pass or a try. If it was not a fumble, then by default it is a dribble and is accompanied by the resulting consequences.

Lonesome Dove