The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 05:06pm
C'mon man!!

Designed play jumping out of bounds.

Had an interesting ditch come up on the car ride today and I wasn't sure the ruling. Team A is running a designed play that has the ball handler driving toward the end line jumping out of bounds and making a pass to a player on the wing. Is this legal? Does it matter whether or not the ball is released prior to or after the player crosses the boundary plan. Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 05:14pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Had an interesting ditch come up on the car ride today and I wasn't sure the ruling. Team A is running a designed play that has the ball handler driving toward the end line jumping out of bounds and making a pass to a player on the wing. Is this legal? Does it matter whether or not the ball is released prior to or after the player crosses the boundary plan. Thanks.
The only rule I can think of that may prevent such a thing happening states that a player can't leave the court for an unverified reason (for some reason I know the word "unverified" doesn't fit here, but I can't think of another). However, since the player hasn't actually left the court in this case, as he has inbound status until he touches the court out of bounds, then I'd say this is legal.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Legal.
As Bryan V said...A1 still has inbounds status.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Everything Is Copacetic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
A1 still has inbounds status.
Even if he landed out of bounds, if his momentum took him out of bounds, and if he returned inbounds as soon as possible, without delay, then, in my opinion, everything is legal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 05:41pm
This IS My Social Life

The Final Jeopardy Answer Is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
...(for some reason I know the word "unverified" doesn't fit here, but I can't think of another)...
9-3-3: "...unauthorized..."
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
It pays to know your history!
When the NFHS put in rule 9-3-3 it also published the following interpretation:

2007-08 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 5: A1, while being defended, is driving from near the free-throw line extended toward the end line. A1 continues toward the end line and pulls up and goes airborne just before the boundary line with his/her momentum carrying him/her out of bounds. Just as A1 goes airborne, he/she passes off to a teammate across the lane and lands out of bounds. RULING: No violation. A player's momentum, after performing legal actions on the court that results in taking him/her out of bounds is not a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. However, if A1 purposely or deceitfully delays returning after legally being out of bounds to gain an advantage, a player technical foul would be assessed. (4-4-3; 9-3-3; 10-3-3)
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 06:33pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
thank you!
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Had an interesting ditch come up on the car ride today and I wasn't sure the ruling.
I'd check with your insurance agent....or maybe your lawyer if the ditch came out of nowhere.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Doomed To Repeat It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It pays to know your history. When the NFHS put in rule 9-3-3 it also published the following interpretation: 2007-08 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
That's why Nevaderef is the King of the Archives. He cited a seven year old interpretation. We are, indeed, fortunate to have him here, on the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 05, 2015 at 07:41pm.