The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Out of Bounds Play

Out of Bounds Play - Following a time-out after a made basket, A1 is given the ball for a baseline inbound on the left side of the lane. A1 is permitted to move. A1 passes to A2, who is out of bounds on the right side of the lane, halfway between the right side of the lane and the far sideline. A2 passes to A3 in bounds.

Legal play, or is it a violation? I believe that it is the latter, since A1 caused the ball to touch something out of bounds (A2) before it touched someone in bounds.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Out of Bounds Play - Following a time-out after a made basket, A1 is given the ball for a baseline inbound on the left side of the lane. A1 is permitted to move. A1 passes to A2, who is out of bounds on the right side of the lane, halfway between the right side of the lane and the far sideline. A2 passes to A3 in bounds.

Legal play, or is it a violation? I believe that it is the latter, since A1 caused the ball to touch something out of bounds (A2) before it touched someone in bounds.
Legal play. 7-5-7
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Legal play.

7-5-7: "After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundaryline."
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Legal play.

7-5-7: "After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundaryline."
Ok - thanks.

What do they mean by "outside the boundaryline"? What exactly is the boundaryline, since the player is only required to be out of bounds - he can go anywhere along the endline.

And, one more - I am assuming this only applies after a made basket - obviously, it would be a violation to do the same if it was a spot throw in?

Last edited by drinkeii; Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 11:30pm.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Out of bounds = outside the boundaryline

Yes, only the thrower is allowed out of bounds on a spot throw-in and you can't move the ball down the line . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 04:18pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
And, one more - I am assuming this only applies after a made basket - ?
Actually, if there is a violation by the team that just scored before the throw-in ends, and the resulting throw-in would be on the endline, the inbounding team can still "run" the endline or pass to a teammate along the endline.

This is detailed in the middle of 7-5-7. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am assuming this only applies after a made basket
Made or awarded. So the team would be allowed to run the baseline after an awarded goal for a goaltend or a defensive basket interference. And, as I'm sure you're aware, the team can still run the baseline and pass to teammates OOB even after an interruption like a time out or injured player.

I had a game a couple weeks ago where a Colorado team called time out after their opponent scored. Their opponent had been pressing pretty effectively. After the time out they set up with one girl about 8 feet off the baseline on the other side of the key and everybody else up court. When I handed the thrower the ball, the inbounds girl bolted across the baseline, the thrower threw the ball to her, then stepped inbounds to receive an open pass. I thought that was a pretty clever use of this rule.