The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 05, 2012, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

A rise in offensive shifts designed to make the defense encroach.

Has anyone else seen a rise in shifts that are intended to make the defense encroach? These plays usually happen on 3rd or 4th down with less the 5 yards to go for a first down. The old Dallas Cowboy shift...in a two point quickly raise up to a standing position and then straight to a three point. Or when the entire offensive line dramatically shifts to a three point stance all at the same time. We had a team all in two point stance violently turn to the sideline to see what the audible was from the coach. All these plays are up to the crew’s discretion and covered in rule 7-1-7 a. and b.

ART. 7 . . . After the ball is marked ready for play and before the snap begins, no false start shall be made by any A player. It is a false start if:
a. A shift or feigned charge simulates action at the snap.
b. Any act is clearly intended to cause B to encroach.
c. Any A player on his line between the snapper and the player on the end of his line, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground, moves his hand(s) or makes any quick movement.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Our crew discusses this when we meet with the head coaches. We tell them we will call FS if the snapdown causes the defense to jump into the NZ.
Most coaches tell us that they do not do this BUT they have seen on tape the opponent doing it...
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
If it's a foul it's a foul. Calling it should not be dependent on the defense's reaction.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Our crew discusses this when we meet with the head coaches. We tell them we will call FS if the snapdown causes the defense to jump into the NZ.
Really???

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 11:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Most coaches tell us that they do not do this BUT they have seen on tape the opponent doing it...
That sounds a little much. Why would you bring this up?

We did discuss this with a coach in the post season and only because the coach brought it up to use in the pre-game meeting. And we did discuss this in our crew pre-game meeting because it was brought to our attention they did this only in 4th and short situations. Otherwise we would not ever bring this up direclty to a coach. To me you are inviting trouble by mentioning this on your own.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 07, 2012, 07:57am
Chain of Fools

Had a WH do this in a pre-game conference several years ago when he was watching my sideline warm-up. He pointed it out to the head coach who didn't say anything at the time but when he got flagged for it later gnawed on me for several minutes.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2012, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy View Post
We had a team all in two point stance violently turn to the sideline to see what the audible was from the coach.
This is one I see a lot of in the D-III NCAA conference I watch fairly often. Generally, the two ends and four backs will jerk up simultaneously from their set position and turn to look at the coach. Yesterday, one of the tackles joined his teammates in this action. I've often wondered what the officials would do if the DT came across the neutral zone.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I am seeing more and more shift/motion without the 1 second required before motion. Can't get an official to call it though.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 08:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I am seeing more and more shift/motion without the 1 second required before motion. Can't get an official to call it though.
When in doubt, it's a second.

If there's an appreciable delay between the shift/motion, it's probably going to be ruled to be a second by most competent crews.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 09:38am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
When in doubt, it's a second.

If there's an appreciable delay between the shift/motion, it's probably going to be ruled to be a second by most competent crews.
Yup. Because (almost) nobody wants a pile of procedure flags in a game.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 11:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

We have a team that does this presnap shift, but they do it on virtually every down.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
If it's a foul it's a foul. Calling it should not be dependent on the defense's reaction.
It's not a foul unless the defense jumps into the NZ. If they do not jump its just a shift.

Let's look at an example:
A 3 down/4 yards. They snap down hard but they do not draw the defense.
Flag thrown against A.
Coach demands a coach Referee conf to ask what was the penality?
R says your line snapped down.
Coach said they went from a 2 point to a 3 point stance, show me in the rule book where that is a foul. I can see if it drew the other team but all we did was shift.
R - what are you going to say to the coach now?
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 03:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It's not a foul unless the defense jumps into the NZ. If they do not jump its just a shift.

Let's look at an example:
A 3 down/4 yards. They snap down hard but they do not draw the defense.
Flag thrown against A.
Coach demands a coach Referee conf to ask what was the penality?
R says your line snapped down.
Coach said they went from a 2 point to a 3 point stance, show me in the rule book where that is a foul. I can see if it drew the other team but all we did was shift.
R - what are you going to say to the coach now?
Hey, I'm with you, but the coach/referee conference isn't going to do anything with a crew that flags this other than cost the coach a timeout.

If the crew says it's a false start, it's a false start.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 04:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Hey, I'm with you, but the coach/referee conference isn't going to do anything with a crew that flags this other than cost the coach a timeout.

If the crew says it's a false start, it's a false start.
7-1-7a/b don't require encroachment to have a false start foul, so the rule backing is solid.

That said, I get that this is called differently than it's worded.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member