The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 10:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've called 2 technical fouls in the past 12 years on DQ-replacing situations. Both make me chuckle a bit...now.

The first coach argued that he had a minute to do this. Now, at that point I had been officiating over 15 years and for me it was NEVER a minute. At the time it was 30 seconds and it had always been 30 seconds for me. He kept arguing that and when the horn went at 30 seconds, I whacked him. He KEPT ARGUING that he had a minute, that we were horrible, etc.

The second coach spent the entire time arguing the foul and I knew I was going to whack him one way or another. I decided to wait till the second horn went. When it did, I whacked him and walked away. My partner dealt with the aftermath.

I work with a lot of officials who instruct the timer to NOT give the second horn in that situation until it's requested. I'm OK with that. Last thing I want is the opposing coach arguing for a technical because the sub isn't quite at the X when the second horn goes.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 11:01am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I have seen little difference between gender of teams or gender of coaches as to who gripes more. They all gripe too much.
Same here.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Rich;
I work with a lot of officials who instruct the timer to NOT give the second horn in that situation until it's requested. I'm OK with that. Last thing I want is the opposing coach arguing for a technical because the sub isn't quite at the X when the second horn goes.[/QUOTE]

excellent technique!