The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 07:54am
C'mon man!!

Technical fouls to start the game

Can someone help me with this case play? 6.4.1 SITUATION A:

Twelve minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks the ball and is charged with a technical foul. B1 is discovered to be wearing an illegal jersey, as the players prepare for the start of the game.

RULING: The game will be started by awarding Team B two free throws for A1's technical foul. Team A will then be given two free throws and the ball for a *division-line throw-in for B1's infraction. When the thrower of Team A has the ball for the throw-in, they have control for purposes of establishing the procedure and the arrow is immediately set toward B's basket. Team B will have the first *opportunity for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-3)

Why does one penalty trump the other? Does one type of technical foul take precedence over the other? In this case play is it just order of discovery that is penalized? thanks
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 08:05am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post

Twelve minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks the ball and is charged with a technical foul. B1 is discovered to be wearing an illegal jersey, as the players prepare for the start of the game.

RULING: The game will be started by awarding Team B two free throws for A1's technical foul. Team A will then be given two free throws and the ball for a *division-line throw-in for B1's infraction. When the thrower of Team A has the ball for the throw-in, they have control for purposes of establishing the procedure and the arrow is immediately set toward B's basket. Team B will have the first *opportunity for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-3)

Why does one penalty trump the other? Does one type of technical foul take precedence over the other? In this case play is it just order of discovery that is penalized? thanks
It's not a matter of precedence. NFHS rules dictate that all penalties are administered in the order of foul occurrence. In the case cited, the reader should assume they occurred as written..A's dunk first followed by discovery of the illegal uniform.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

If ti had been a double T, then they would "offset" and no FTs would be shot. The game would start with the jump ball.

This was a false double T.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 09:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Number ...

Quote:
B1 is discovered to be wearing an illegal jersey, as the players prepare for the start of the game.
At the twelve minute mark, couldn't the coach of Team B choose not to play B1, thus avoiding a technical foul?

Also, let's say that B1 is a designated starter, and it's the nine minute mark. What are the possible outcomes here?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

and remember, that A1's pregame dunk is charged to him and indirectly to the head coach since A1 was bench personnel. One foul is added to A team foul total. The illegal uniform T is charged directly to head coach of team B. the player is not charged with a foul. a foul is added to team total.

coaches have lost coaching box w exceptions since each has been charged with a T. see the rule for when they can stand after losing box---call TO, check on correctable error, etc..
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
At the twelve minute mark, couldn't the coach of Team B choose not to play B1, thus avoiding a technical foul?

Also, let's say that B1 is a designated starter, and it's the nine minute mark. What are the possible outcomes here?
1. yes. T is for allowing him to participate.
2. ---rule says you can change designated starter for illegal equipment or apparel, "etc"....... it actually says ETC. if he is a starter coach is going to want him to play so there is going to be a T at some point. coach be better off changing his number in book to legal shirt. that is team technical so coach keeps box...
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

How would you signal the T for the pregame dunking? Do you sound the whistle with the "t" signal? I have never seen that situation called. Just curious.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 10:41am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedYooper View Post
How would you signal the T for the pregame dunking? Do you sound the whistle with the "t" signal? I have never seen that situation called. Just curious.
No, inform both coaches and the table and start the game with the FT's. No signal necessary.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 11:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Year Of The Cat, Al Stewart, 1976 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
1. yes. T is for allowing him to participate.
2. ---rule says you can change designated starter for illegal equipment or apparel, "etc"....... it actually says ETC. if he is a starter coach is going to want him to play so there is going to be a T at some point. coach be better off changing his number in book to legal shirt. that is team technical so coach keeps box...
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Stars At Night Are Big And Bright ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedYooper View Post
Do you sound the whistle with the "t" signal?
I believe our fine officiating colleagues in The Lone Star State prevent pregame dunking technicals by sounding their whistles before they enter the court. I wonder if they do it in unison, concurrently, or consecutively?

Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NFHS has always been order of occurrence, so that's your answer.
The problem is that someone from the NFHS wrote a case play a couple of years ago which conflicts with the text of the rules and 6.4.1 Sit A. That case play is 3.4.3 Situation C and it states to treat any technical fouls by opposing teams prior to the start of the game as offsetting double fouls.
There is no way to resolve these conflicting rulings. Therefore, I will be going with the text of the actual rule and enforcing the penalties in the order in which they occur if such ever happens to me.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I believe our fine officiating colleagues in The Lone Star State prevent pregame dunking technicals by sounding their whistles before they enter the court. I wonder if they do it in unison, concurrently, or consecutively?
Usually just the R sounds the whistle and while it is recommended, I choose not to for middle school, 9th grade and most girls games. It is a penalty to dunknif the refs are present on the court - the whistle is just a courtesy warning. I'm sure eventually the rest of the country will catch up to us and add this to their pre-game.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 07:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Usually just the R sounds the whistle and while it is recommended, I choose not to for middle school, 9th grade and most girls games. It is a penalty to dunknif the refs are present on the court - the whistle is just a courtesy warning. I'm sure eventually the rest of the country will catch up to us and add this to their pre-game.
Nah, the rest of the country teaches their kids not to dunk during warmups. No need for the refs to announce our presence.

Y'all have been doing this long enough, if the rest of the country was going to follow suit, it would have happened already.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 07:45pm
AremRed

I think the refs should enter to this tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JmKW8xhrg
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 12:33am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NFHS has always been order of occurrence, so that's your answer.
The problem is that someone from the NFHS wrote a case play a couple of years ago which conflicts with the text of the rules and 6.4.1 Sit A. That case play is 3.4.3 Situation C and it states to treat any technical fouls by opposing teams prior to the start of the game as offsetting double fouls.
There is no way to resolve these conflicting rulings. Therefore, I will be going with the text of the actual rule and enforcing the penalties in the order in which they occur if such ever happens to me.

NevadaRef and I agree on this situtation with regard to NFHS CB Play 6.4.1 Sit. A and NFHS CB Play 3.4.3. Sit. C. CB Play 3.4.3. Sit. C was added to the 2013-14 NFHS Casebook. The sad part of the RULING for CB Play 3.4.3 Sit. C is that it references CP Play 6.4.1 Sit. A to support its Ruling. I though that the NFHS Rules Committee would have cleaned up this mess before the start of the 2014-15 season and correct the RULLING in CB Play 3.4.3 Sit. C to conform to CB Play 6.4.1 Sit. A.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Tue Dec 23, 2014 at 02:33am. Reason: Changed "back up" to "suport' in the next to last sentence.