View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 21, 2014, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Can someone help me with this case play? 6.4.1 SITUATION A:

Twelve minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks the ball and is charged with a technical foul. B1 is discovered to be wearing an illegal jersey, as the players prepare for the start of the game.

RULING: The game will be started by awarding Team B two free throws for A1's technical foul. Team A will then be given two free throws and the ball for a *division-line throw-in for B1's infraction. When the thrower of Team A has the ball for the throw-in, they have control for purposes of establishing the procedure and the arrow is immediately set toward B's basket. Team B will have the first *opportunity for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-3)

Why does one penalty trump the other? Does one type of technical foul take precedence over the other? In this case play is it just order of discovery that is penalized? thanks
NFHS has always been order of occurrence, so that's your answer.
The problem is that someone from the NFHS wrote a case play a couple of years ago which conflicts with the text of the rules and 6.4.1 Sit A. That case play is 3.4.3 Situation C and it states to treat any technical fouls by opposing teams prior to the start of the game as offsetting double fouls.
There is no way to resolve these conflicting rulings. Therefore, I will be going with the text of the actual rule and enforcing the penalties in the order in which they occur if such ever happens to me.