The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Team A is assessed a technical foul to start a high school basketball game. A non-starter is chosen to shoot the free-throws. The question now is when the ball is administered to team B for a throw-in following the free-throws, can the five original starters actually start the game?
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Once you shoot the T, haven't you officially started the game?

My two sense!
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't have my rulebook right here, but I believe the answer to your question is no. A6 replaces A1 in order to shoot the FTs for the technical foul. In order for A1 to re-enter the game, he/she must wait for the first opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started. Since the clock doesn't run between the technical FTs and the awarded throw-in, I think A1 can't return.

Chuck
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't have my rulebook right here, but I believe the answer to your question is no. A6 replaces A1 in order to shoot the FTs for the technical foul. In order for A1 to re-enter the game, he/she must wait for the first opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started. Since the clock doesn't run between the technical FTs and the awarded throw-in, I think A1 can't return.

Chuck
Chuck, you got it!
However, note that A6 may be replaced by A7 before the ball is inbounded on the throw-in, since the substitution restriction only applies to re-entry and thus only affects A1.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
A6 may be replaced by A7 before the ball is inbounded on the throw-in, since the substitution restriction only applies to re-entry and thus only affects A1.
Very true. Good to remember. I find it interesting that the NBA has exactly the opposite rule for subs. In the NBA, if you sub out, you can come back in before the clock moves. But if you sub in, you MUST remain on the floor until the next opportunity for substitution after the clock has started. Isn't that wierd?

Chuck