The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

End of game situation

0.7 left, tie game. Under A basket, A ball, I am at lead, ball is lobbed up to big man at the rim, bounces off hands and hits rim and directly down into A2 hands who catches and shoots layup for win before the buzzer! Thought it was a long 0.7 myself,(of course home team had ball) but with me being lead and not having clock, I didn't say anything as the trail and C ran off the floor avoiding overtime! Is it my place to call a conference before leaving the floor to make sure the clock started properly or should I just leave the floor because they had the clock? Just wondering.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Unless you personally have a count going that would have negated that shot, I wouldn't do anything. Trust that your partner would have done the same.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Adam...if you call into question there ruling without definite knowledge that they were wrong it sets the whole crew up for disaster. Out of curiosity, I assume you at least discussed in the locker room...what was the discussion?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
0.7 left, tie game. Under A basket, A ball, I am at lead, ball is lobbed up to big man at the rim, bounces off hands and hits rim and directly down into A2 hands who catches and shoots layup for win before the buzzer! Thought it was a long 0.7 myself,(of course home team had ball) but with me being lead and not having clock, I didn't say anything as the trail and C ran off the floor avoiding overtime! Is it my place to call a conference before leaving the floor to make sure the clock started properly or should I just leave the floor because they had the clock? Just wondering.
I was trained that at L in three-whistle I should not be looking up at the rim. My responsibility is the paint and contact low. Since your two partners felt the basket should be counted I am assuming they saw the entire play. If you also saw the entire play who was watching the people in the paint for illegal contact (knee and/or hip )?

I may be watching the wrong things...just seems like 4 eyes on the top side is enough.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 04:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I was trained that at L in three-whistle I should not be looking up at the rim. My responsibility is the paint and contact low. Since your two partners felt the basket should be counted I am assuming they saw the entire play. If you also saw the entire play who was watching the people in the paint for illegal contact (knee and/or hip )?

I may be watching the wrong things...just seems like 4 eyes on the top side is enough.
I know quite a few supervisors who would expect an official in any of the three positions to know what happened with the ball when there is only 0.7 on the clock when the play started. To say you were watching for off-ball action after the ball is thrown towards the rim is not going to cut it.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Unless you have definite knowledge of the timing situation, stay out of it.
What help can you offer if you aren't certain?
The clock would be your secondary as the Lead, so just as you help with other secondary calls when you are 100%, you better be 100% if you are going to get involved in this.