The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of game situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98853-end-game-situation.html)

jritchie Mon Dec 15, 2014 02:24pm

End of game situation

0.7 left, tie game. Under A basket, A ball, I am at lead, ball is lobbed up to big man at the rim, bounces off hands and hits rim and directly down into A2 hands who catches and shoots layup for win before the buzzer! Thought it was a long 0.7 myself,(of course home team had ball) but with me being lead and not having clock, I didn't say anything as the trail and C ran off the floor avoiding overtime! Is it my place to call a conference before leaving the floor to make sure the clock started properly or should I just leave the floor because they had the clock? Just wondering.

Adam Mon Dec 15, 2014 02:39pm

Unless you personally have a count going that would have negated that shot, I wouldn't do anything. Trust that your partner would have done the same.

egj13 Mon Dec 15, 2014 03:18pm

I agree with Adam...if you call into question there ruling without definite knowledge that they were wrong it sets the whole crew up for disaster. Out of curiosity, I assume you at least discussed in the locker room...what was the discussion?

BatteryPowered Mon Dec 15, 2014 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 946939)
0.7 left, tie game. Under A basket, A ball, I am at lead, ball is lobbed up to big man at the rim, bounces off hands and hits rim and directly down into A2 hands who catches and shoots layup for win before the buzzer! Thought it was a long 0.7 myself,(of course home team had ball) but with me being lead and not having clock, I didn't say anything as the trail and C ran off the floor avoiding overtime! Is it my place to call a conference before leaving the floor to make sure the clock started properly or should I just leave the floor because they had the clock? Just wondering.

I was trained that at L in three-whistle I should not be looking up at the rim. My responsibility is the paint and contact low. Since your two partners felt the basket should be counted I am assuming they saw the entire play. If you also saw the entire play who was watching the people in the paint for illegal contact (knee and/or hip )?

I may be watching the wrong things...just seems like 4 eyes on the top side is enough.

Raymond Mon Dec 15, 2014 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 946946)
I was trained that at L in three-whistle I should not be looking up at the rim. My responsibility is the paint and contact low. Since your two partners felt the basket should be counted I am assuming they saw the entire play. If you also saw the entire play who was watching the people in the paint for illegal contact (knee and/or hip )?

I may be watching the wrong things...just seems like 4 eyes on the top side is enough.

I know quite a few supervisors who would expect an official in any of the three positions to know what happened with the ball when there is only 0.7 on the clock when the play started. To say you were watching for off-ball action after the ball is thrown towards the rim is not going to cut it.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 15, 2014 04:08pm

Unless you have definite knowledge of the timing situation, stay out of it.
What help can you offer if you aren't certain?
The clock would be your secondary as the Lead, so just as you help with other secondary calls when you are 100%, you better be 100% if you are going to get involved in this.