The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Uh, did you read the OP? No official count is required in that situation.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Uh, did you read the OP? No official count is required in that situation.
You made me curious - why not? When is the visible count required?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:40pm
beware big brother

In NFHS, silent and visible counts are required by rule (rule 2-8) for throw ins, free throws, backcourt, and closely guarded. So no, you should never have a 5 second count in your head or call a violation for such without having a visible count.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This begs two questions:
1. May an official call a 5 second closely guarded violation based on "five seconds in his head", not having given the mandatory visual count?
2. Would any official want to?
Had a 10 second violation call the other day where I didn't visually indicate every second. A1 inbounds the ball. I get to 4 seconds and the defender bats the ball away from the dribbler. I have a lapse in concentration and stop my visual count as players are diving on the floor for a loose ball. As I closed down on the play anticipating a held ball, A2 recovers and I realize that team control in the backcourt never ended, but I was certain that at least 3 seconds had passed. So I resume my count at 7 and eventually have a 10 second violation on A.

But to answer #2, I can't think of a reason I would want to do this. But I'd rather apply the rule correctly even if it didn't look good.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
In NFHS, silent and visible counts are required by rule (rule 2-8) for throw ins, free throws, backcourt, and closely guarded. So no, you should never have a 5 second count in your head or call a violation for such without having a visible count.
Nicely stated. I stand corrected from an earlier post about the rules not addressing the visibility of the count.

But I also completely agree with HokiePaul's perspective. I would do the same thing in that situation. Visibly count as often as you can, but using good judgment there may be times here and there when you skip a few arm strokes.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Don't worry. Typical AR MSU.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 07:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To Me, NCAA Rules Are Harder To Understand Than Rocket Surgery ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
By understanding this distinction, you'll be able to politely defend your call when you get the "They switched out!" argument from the high school coach. Chances are good that the coach is unaware of the rules difference.
As was I. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Send Me A Contract ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
"Whatever he says is right."
I want to work for that coach.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 07:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Visible Count ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
May an official call a 5 second closely guarded violation based on "five seconds in his head", not having given the mandatory visual count?
Quote:
... there may be times here and there when you skip a few arm strokes.
Quote:
... the number in my head and the number of arm strokes I've issued are not always exactly the same, and that's ok because I'm the only one who knows.
Maybe twenty-five years ago you would have been "the only one who knows". In 2014, almost everyone in the gymnasium has a video camera, pretty much anyone with a cell phone. Johnny "loses" the game on a late in the game ten second backcourt violation, and the next day Grandma emails the coach with proof that there were only eight visible counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... but sometimes it happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
But I'd rather apply the rule correctly even if it didn't look good.
Quote:
Visibly count as often as you can, but using good judgment there may be times here and there when you skip a few arm strokes.
It happens to me a couple of times each season. Sometimes it takes me a few seconds (brain fart) to realize that there's a closely guarded situation. I give it four visible counts, and call the violation knowing that it was probably six, or seven seconds. Someday, I'm going to get caught red handed on "Candid Camera". Hopefully I can explain it away by concentrating on the actual time rather than on the visible count.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 17, 2014 at 07:44pm.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 07:46pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Johnny "loses" the game on a late in the game ten second backcourt violation, and the next day Grandma emails the coach with proof that there were only eight visible counts.
So what? Assuming the count was reasonably accurate, the video will also prove that. The lack of a visible 10 second count puts nobody at a disadvantage.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 07:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still A Good Idea To Have A Visible Count ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
So what? Assuming the count was reasonably accurate, the video will also prove that.
Already got it covered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I can explain it away by concentrating on the actual time rather than on the visible count.
This is the statement that I was questioning:

Quote:
I'm the only one who knows.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 17, 2014 at 08:01pm.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 08:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
So what? Assuming the count was reasonably accurate, the video will also prove that. The lack of a visible 10 second count puts nobody at a disadvantage.
I agree. It's different than a 5 second count, in that there's no "closely guarded" judgment involved. Everyone knows you have 10 seconds to get across the line. With 5 seconds, it's assumed that if you're not counting, then the player isn't in jeopardy.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 08:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Closely Guraded ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
With 5 seconds, it's assumed that if you're not counting, then the player isn't in jeopardy.
We (Connecticut IAABO) did away with the "not closely guarded" signal (it looked like the sixty-second timeout signal) this year after using it for a couple of years, for the exact reason stated by Adam.

Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 08:27pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
This is what happens when you browse with multiple tabs open! I thought you were replying to this thread, where no official count is required during the second of three free throws. I am terribly sorry and have deleted my erroneous comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Don't worry. Typical AR MSU.
I certainly hope "MSU" doesn't stand for "making shit up" and very much doubt that I am "typical" in any relation to that statement. I always try to base my replies on rules and expectations, not fabricate responses to make myself look like I know what I'm talking about. I am confident my post history confirms this and am sorry you think this is typical behavior from me. I will try to avoid such mistakes in the future.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 11:22pm
beware big brother

Last season, in one of the few HS games I worked, I completely forgot to do a ten second back court count. I was too used to going by the shot clock, that using a count did not even register, even after I looked up to make sure the shot clock was running (which it wasn't, since there wasn't one). After what was probably 12-15 seconds, I looked up again, and finally realized there was not a shot clock, and I was screwed because I wasn't really keeping that good of a count in my head. A second or so later, the offensive team got the ball into the front court, but the entire last few seconds the defensive coach was screaming for 10 seconds. I would have been completely guessing, so I did not make the call. When I got in front of the defensive coach, he asked how there wasn't a 10 second violation on that possession. I told him I screwed up, was doing college mechanics out of habit and forgot to count expecting to be able to use the shot clock. I told him I would make sure it didn't happen again. He said thanks for the explanation, and we moved on.