The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 11:54pm
AremRed

I got myself in trouble with a count recently. Whenever I'm Trail and the team inbounds the ball I always take a peek at the clock to 1) make sure it is running after a stoppage and 2) help out with my 10 second count. I know my physical count is a bit slow (1-2 seconds over a 10 second period) so I note the time when control is established inbounds and use that to help out my 10 second violation. So I was counting and got to 9 and the opposing bench started screaming for 10. I checked the clock and lo and behold 11 seconds had run off. I called the violation. Got tons of shit from the coach who thought I let the other team influence my call, etc. I pointed out that 11 seconds had run off the clock but he was having none of it.

I requested the video from the AD and the coach ends up emailing me the link with a little note attached: "I would encourage you to take a look at your 10 second call in the 1st quarter, seems to me to be 8 - 9 seconds & it looks like you sped up your count right at the very beginning." So I looked at it and timed it with a stopwatch three times -- 10.2 seconds each time. I was tempted to email the coach back saying he was right I missed it and should have blown my whistle .2 seconds sooner , but I held off.

In hindsight a couple things. First, don't use the clock too much. It can help you in certain situations but I was relying on it too much, and in a way not specified under NFHS mechanics. We have a visible count for a reason. Second, don't engage with the coach to explain your call. Call it and move on. Address it if the coach keeps bringing it up. Third, make sure your call looks correct on video. You never know who is watching.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

In hindsight a couple things. First, don't use the clock too much. It can help you in certain situations but I was relying on it too much, and in a way not specified under NFHS mechanics. We have a visible count for a reason. Second, don't engage with the coach to explain your call. Call it and move on. Address it if the coach keeps bringing it up. Third, make sure your call looks correct on video. You never know who is watching.
One of the most valuable lessons I was taught was to look/glance at the shot clock each time I cross a line to ensure it is running and was started properly. It is amazing how often the table screws this up and coaches and assignors notice when you catch these human errors.

Your point about the video is dead on. The eye in the sky is always watching.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

If you do use the game clock in HS games to help with the 10-second call, be sure it runs off 11 seconds before you call it.

It will (usually; there are some clocks, usually older that don't follow this) indicate x:45 when it's x:45.0 and will switch to x:35 when it's x:35.9, so you will have only given the team just over 9 seconds.

Of course, the opposite is true, too -- it could go from x:45.9 to x:35.0, so you will end up giving the team 11 seconds -- but that's a better choice.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 11:02pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you do use the game clock in HS games to help with the 10-second call, be sure it runs off 11 seconds before you call it.

It will (usually; there are some clocks, usually older that don't follow this) indicate x:45 when it's x:45.0 and will switch to x:35 when it's x:35.9, so you will have only given the team just over 9 seconds.

Of course, the opposite is true, too -- it could go from x:45.9 to x:35.0, so you will end up giving the team 11 seconds -- but that's a better choice.
That is what I do.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 11:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We (Connecticut IAABO) did away with the "not closely guarded" signal (it looked like the sixty-second timeout signal) this year after using it for a couple of years, for the exact reason stated by Adam.

As a college official and even after the NFHS adopted the CCA signal I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) used the signal. If I am not giving a visual count it means I do not have a Closely Guarded Situation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio