The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 11:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Our Association has been instructed by the schools not to send female officials to do boys varsity contests. (Yes, males are allowed to work girls games).

Discuss....
Forward that correspondence to Joyce and see how quickly it gets handled.

and if any of those schools make the state quarterfinals, best believe Joyce will send one or two females to their game.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Nov 19, 2014 at 11:09pm.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welpe View Post
i hope the first thing your association does is send three women to work their next bv game.
+100
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 11:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
The VA head poobah for HS basketball is named Joyce!!
Well that's a funny na... Wait, never mind. I get it.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I hope the first thing your association does is send three women to work their next BV game.
I'm with this. When schools forfeit games after refusing to play due to the makeup of the crews the nonsense will stop.

Also, depending upon how your pay system works, I would remind those schools that they will pay the crew at the full rate if the schools refuse to play. Let them go argue that one out in court.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our Association has been instructed by the schools not to send female officials to do boys varsity contests. (Yes, males are allowed to work girls games).

Discuss....
All of your schools or just some of them?
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 08:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
All I can say is that it is very uncommon that any female works a boys basketball game at the varsity level. But on the flip side women get a lot of great opportunities and girls or NCAAW basketball usually faster than men at the same level of experience or opportunities. And it is not uncommon either that anyone that works a lot of girls do not get a lot of boys opportunities either in the regular season or post season. So I guess it would be hard here to complain of who you send to a game.

Peace
I would not hesitate to assign women to a game. And a coach telling me this would get a response of "are you serious?" followed by a crew of three women.

And yes, I assign varsity basketball for 20 schools. With women on staff that work boys games.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

If women are good enough to work in the NBA and college football, they're good enough to work high school basketball games.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I cannot express enough how badly I want to know how this turns out.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 11:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would not hesitate to assign women to a game. And a coach telling me this would get a response of "are you serious?" followed by a crew of three women.

And yes, I assign varsity basketball for 20 schools. With women on staff that work boys games.
And that is fine and how it should be, but because of how many women get college opportunties, it is really a matter of availablity as anything. I just spoke with one of my female officiating friends and she could give a darn about HS games. And when she does work, she almost does not know the diffferences. As you have seen here, those that work Women's college basketball often think highly of their level and seem to think everything is done correctly at that level. So if those do not make themselves available. And when the check is greater and the opportunity is more realistic, at least here they do not stick around to work those levels very long. But I would work with a good woman official over a bad male official any day. And I also think many of them do not want the hassel of what it can bring either. And yes, it would be somewhat of a hassel for them if they are already coming into a situation with those attitudes of females working those games.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 12:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

One thing: In Virginia if these are private schools, there is nothing the state body (VHSL) can do.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 01:06pm
wife loves the goatee...

Assuming (I have seen no written documentation from the schools)

[a] the communication was "back channel"... ie nothing written down... and
[b] knowing the implied threat of losing contracts (There is a larger, well respected BB Association in our area who would be glad to replace us).

Would we continue to "poke the bear" and lose our Association or would we knuckle under?

BNR--- These are VHSL schools
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 01:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Assuming (I have seen no written documentation from the schools)

[a] the communication was "back channel"... ie nothing written down... and
[b] knowing the implied threat of losing contracts (There is a larger, well respected BB Association in our area who would be glad to replace us).

Would we continue to "poke the bear" and lose our Association or would we knuckle under?

BNR--- These are VHSL schools
Being that I am in the other association, I would hope (and do believe) our leadership has the integrity not to even have that on the table during any negotiation.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 02:04pm
wife loves the goatee...

BNR, Lcubed48 and any others from your group,

My apologies for any slight of your group. I do not have ANY reason to have anything but respect for what you guys do. It is simply a fact of life for us that you are where our customers go if they become dissatisfied (Ft Lee Christmas tourney, Lawson Classic, for example).
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 02:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
BNR, Lcubed48 and any others from your group,

My apologies for any slight of your group. I do not have ANY reason to have anything but respect for what you guys do. It is simply a fact of life for us that you are where our customers go if they become dissatisfied (Ft Lee Christmas tourney, Lawson Classic, for example).
Oh, I'm not taking it as a slight, just as a matter of fact.

If I were your association I wouldn't let the schools try to strong-arm you with this tactic.

Believe me, I know all too well what these schools around here are capable of doing/saying "off the record". It's the reason I ref public schools in Richmond instead of my local area.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Nov 20, 2014 at 02:26pm.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And that is fine and how it should be, but because of how many women get college opportunties, it is really a matter of availablity as anything. I just spoke with one of my female officiating friends and she could give a darn about HS games. And when she does work, she almost does not know the diffferences. As you have seen here, those that work Women's college basketball often think highly of their level and seem to think everything is done correctly at that level. So if those do not make themselves available. And when the check is greater and the opportunity is more realistic, at least here they do not stick around to work those levels very long. But I would work with a good woman official over a bad male official any day. And I also think many of them do not want the hassel of what it can bring either. And yes, it would be somewhat of a hassel for them if they are already coming into a situation with those attitudes of females working those games.
Peace
I highlighted the irrelevant parts.