The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Later this month I have my first HS game with a female partner. After reading the thread on showing up dressed, it got me thinking. In situations where you would normally dress on site, how do you handle this?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Some schools will realize you have a mixed crew and supply seperate dressing rooms. Most however will not. I have worked many games with a female partner and some have come dressed, sometimes we have just taken turns getting dressed, and a couple justed popped into the bathroom and came back out in their compression shorts and sports bra and we finished our pregame while we finished dressing.

I'd call your partner ahead of time and also contact the school to see what they have planned for a dressing room. You may have to arrive a bit early to allow for missed pregame time dressing seperately.

Do whatever you need to do for both of you to be comfortable, but don't skimp on your normal pregame because of it.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 03:26am
Do not give a damn!!

I like working with women. I do not work with women that often but usually they were better than many of the men I worked with. Mainly because they would feel they had more to prove. It does not happen as much because I work mostly boy's basketball and not that much girl's anymore. But in most cases we would have to change at different times. Most school would not provide a separate locker room or a room that made sense to use.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
If she gets there before me and manages to change before I arrive, good for her. If not, well, good for me.
That's NOT what your mentor meant when he told you to watch your partner's back.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

When working with a female(s)....we draw straws or flip a coin to determine who gets the shower first! (You need to know the facilities well....some showers take forever to warm up, while others stay ice cold no matter how long you let them run.) Sometimes losing has its advantages

wl
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
When working with a female(s)....we draw straws or flip a coin to determine who gets the shower first! (You need to know the facilities well....some showers take forever to warm up, while others stay ice cold no matter how long you let them run.) Sometimes losing has its advantages

wl
WL:

Your name was mentioned at the SWOA meeting Monday night. Congrats on your 30-year award. At least I "knew" who you were!

--Rich
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Rich....

Thanks for the good wishes...."Old Farts" eventually get noticed for something else other than advocating for 3-whistle crews so we can continue our avocation for....10 more years???? Ha! Ha!

Kudos to you on your WIAA tournament assignments! I commend you on being recognized for your officiating abilities. Lots of people have difficulty "climbing the ladder" when they move state-to-state. Congratulations! You obviously have worked hard and gotten yourself positioned to succeed by earning the respect of area coaches!

peace....

wl
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I didn't even read the posts. I'm all for dressing with mixed crews!
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Here's how the other half feels...

BushRef -- Let's see... how can I say this without sounding PC... I want the message to get through and not push buttons... Okay, ,let's try this... if seeing more than my back while I'm dressing is something that sounds fun to you, you've got way too many mental problems to be working a varsity game. I'll be calling our assignor as soon as the game's over to report your brain damage immediately. (no smilie ... you decide if I'm joking or serious. Remember that if you have any emotions or feelings about what I wrote, it's your own fault!)

Around here, we mostly either change separately and then pre-game after, or one comes dressed. It doesn't seem to me that it would be that difficult for a school to have a small set of cubicles that would be separated by dividers so we could talk and change at the same time. Sometimes, there's a bathroom where one can do the private things, and the other use the outer room, then we can pre-game during the socks, shoes, contacts and hair. Lots of times, it's just plain awkward.

For me the biggest issue is having access to my possessions at half-time. If we've dressed separately, (and in girls' games that ususally means I'm in one of the teams' locker rooms) we probably can't both have access to our stuff. I want my make-up bag, comb, towel and rule books. And then, I want to leave my jacket there with my other stuff so I don't have four stops to make when the game is over.

Usually, if we talk on the phone ahead, and then someone gets there in time to pin down the AD and make arrangements, it works out fine. For most guys, it's not an issue. So it's usually me that does the work. Which is mostly fine. If I get it my way, it's worth the work!
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Cool

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
If she gets there before me and manages to change before I arrive, good for her. If not, well, good for me.
That's NOT what your mentor meant when he told you to watch your partner's back.
Her back? ARe you kidding me? If all I'm watchin is her back, then I'm probably missin the best parts!!!
Some women's best parts are their back side.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

this is probably a huge reason why we only have a handful of women in our association.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked with several female partners--in all cases the school provided us with seperate places to change. We then met in either place (depending upon who was assigned as Ref.) and did our pregame. It has never caused any problems or concerns.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I worked last night with a veteran female official. She arrived at the game dressed. Myself and our third partner was able to utilize the dressing room. She is only one of two female officials that I have had the opportunity to work with. Both of these ladies are very good officials. I hope to be as good someday.

Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Here's how the other half feels...

BushRef -- Let's see... how can I say this without sounding PC... I want the message to get through and not push buttons... Okay, ,let's try this... if seeing more than my back while I'm dressing is something that sounds fun to you, you've got way too many mental problems to be working a varsity game. I'll be calling our assignor as soon as the game's over to report your brain damage immediately. (no smilie ... you decide if I'm joking or serious. Remember that if you have any emotions or feelings about what I wrote, it's your own fault!)

Around here, we mostly either change separately and then pre-game after, or one comes dressed. It doesn't seem to me that it would be that difficult for a school to have a small set of cubicles that would be separated by dividers so we could talk and change at the same time. Sometimes, there's a bathroom where one can do the private things, and the other use the outer room, then we can pre-game during the socks, shoes, contacts and hair. Lots of times, it's just plain awkward.

For me the biggest issue is having access to my possessions at half-time. If we've dressed separately, (and in girls' games that ususally means I'm in one of the teams' locker rooms) we probably can't both have access to our stuff. I want my make-up bag, comb, towel and rule books. And then, I want to leave my jacket there with my other stuff so I don't have four stops to make when the game is over.

Usually, if we talk on the phone ahead, and then someone gets there in time to pin down the AD and make arrangements, it works out fine. For most guys, it's not an issue. So it's usually me that does the work. Which is mostly fine. If I get it my way, it's worth the work!
Juulie,

It could have been MUCH worse, at least he did not tie a comment in with his username.

He's going out of his way to be offensive ever since JR and I busted him because of his use of a VERY offensive image a while back.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 04:13pm
M.A.S.H.

WL:

Dittos!! Congrats on your award!!!!