The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

double foul sit

team A has the ball when A1 and B2 commit a double foul against each other. A1's foul is ruled a common foul, and B2's foul is ruled intentional. what is the result? a question from a quiz at our local association. i may be over thinking this one. what do you think?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

POI as after any double foul. The fact that one of them was intentional does not change that (in HS).
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

That's a play I'd love to see.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:21pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That's a play I'd love to see.
I had a similar play last week. Two players got locked up pushing one one another, first contact wasn't a foul for this game so I let it go. Other player comes back with a slightly harder push so I begin to call a double foul. As I make the signal while coming in, the defender (while still locked up with offensive player) kinda WWE-throws the offensive player over his back to the floor. Double foul, intentional technical, and unsporting technical for a teammate of the offensive player who came over and called the defender a "punk-ass n----" (but that's another story). If I didn't already have the double foul I would have called it a double with one being common and the other being intentional.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I had a similar play last week. Two players got locked up pushing one one another, first contact wasn't a foul for this game so I let it go. Other player comes back with a slightly harder push so I begin to call a double foul. As I make the signal while coming in, the defender (while still locked up with offensive player) kinda WWE-throws the offensive player over his back to the floor. Double foul, intentional technical, and unsporting technical for a teammate of the offensive player who came over and called the defender a "punk-ass n----" (but that's another story). If I didn't already have the double foul I would have called it a double with one being common and the other being intentional.
Sorry, but according to your own description this penalty administration isn't right.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:35pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Sorry, but according to your own description this penalty administration isn't right.
I'm saying that if I didn't already call the double foul and the same play happened (Player A1 flipping B1) I would have ruled it a double foul with one being common and one being INT. As it happens I did call a double foul on the contact previous to the flip, making the flip an intentional technical. Unless you disagree with the punishment fitting the crime?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
After the double foul....
Then we have a flagrant on the defender.
Then a flagrant T on the kid who couldn't keep his mouth shut.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
POI as after any double foul. The fact that one of them was intentional does not change that (in HS).
maybe its the ncaa rule that is floating around in my head then
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
maybe its the ncaa rule that is floating around in my head then
Ncaa m when one of the fouls is flagrant you penalize the fouls individually and always the flagrant last. two shots and ball near spot of foul. There's a case book play somewhere on it....
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a similar play last week. Two players got locked up pushing one one another, first contact wasn't a foul for this game so I let it go. Other player comes back with a slightly harder push so I begin to call a double foul.
I think what Nevada was saying was that if the "first contact wasn't a foul" you can't penalize A by making the "slightly harder push" by B a double foul.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Ncaa m when one of the fouls is flagrant you penalize the fouls individually and always the flagrant last. two shots and ball near spot of foul. There's a case book play somewhere on it....
same in NCAAW -- see AR 242, for example.