The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gender Wars.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98670-gender-wars.html)

DRJ1960 Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:40pm

Gender Wars....

Our Association has been instructed by the schools not to send female officials to do boys varsity contests. (Yes, males are allowed to work girls games).

Discuss....

Smitty Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:52pm

Our association has several women who work boys games, at the highest level. Our association is also the first in Texas to have a female official work the boys state finals. She's damn good. Times are changing. Your association seems to be going the other way.

Welpe Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:52pm

I hope the first thing your association does is send three women to work their next BV game. :rolleyes:

Sharpshooternes Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 944129)
I hope the first thing your association does is send three women to work their next BV game. :rolleyes:

Agree.

SC Official Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:53pm

Ridiculous. Is there any way that the state high school league can intervene?

Some of the top-rated officials in my state are females. We've had females work boys state championships before.

And I agree with the above posters.

jTheUmp Wed Nov 19, 2014 05:00pm

I didn't realize that possession of specific genitalia was a requirement to officiate boys basketball.

Is this just a couple of schools, or is it an entire conference (or worse)?

Either way, that's seriously messed up...

BigCat Wed Nov 19, 2014 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 944122)
Our Association has been instructed by the schools not to send female officials to do boys varsity contests. (Yes, males are allowed to work girls games).

Discuss....

Ask whomever told you this to put that request in writing and to identify the schools that are part of the request by name because you want to contact them directly. . request a meeting immediately to discuss because your association feels this is outrageous. you assign referees not men or women….

1. they probably won't do either. but the point is to let somebody on their end know this isn't going to go away.
2. if they list the schools, send it to each school board identified and ask them if this is truly the position of this district in 2014….
3. also mail it to local newspaper and tv station.

Schedule your season as you normally would. don't load them up with women but don't change for their benefit. if they turn woman away see number 3. good luck.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 19, 2014 05:42pm

Just turn the request over to your local TV station. That should fix that.

Or, send 3 male officials from your rookie class...3 that really don't know what is going on yet. When they call to complain, tell them you had 3 highly qualified women that could have worked the game but they asked for men. :D

Freddy Wed Nov 19, 2014 05:45pm

More Info Needed

Quote:

Our Association has been instructed by the schools not to send female officials to do boys varsity contests. (Yes, males are allowed to work girls games). Discuss....

A. Objectively speaking, how do the individual women of your association rank in terms of skill and ability in comparison to all officials?

B. Is it correct that your association assigns officials solely based on aptitude and merit?

Answers to these questions are significant for a worthwhile discussion. Otherwise the whole thing becomes nothing more than a politically correct exercise in feel-goodism.

Rich Wed Nov 19, 2014 05:58pm

Being instructed to do something and actually doing it are two different things.

SC Official Wed Nov 19, 2014 06:03pm

In South Carolina, officials typically work a doubleheader (girls game followed by a boys game), so a request like that would not only be denied, but infeasible. Our state would say that if you don't want certain officials, put them on your mark-off list in Arbiter. But if you fill it up with females, then you're risking getting assigned some of the lower-tier males. It's really that simple.

I do like the suggestion of turning it over to the media.

Adam Wed Nov 19, 2014 06:11pm

Quote:

Discuss....

Tell the schools to take a hike and welcome them to 1992.

If you want to have some real fun, have one of the female officials in your association contact an attorney. I'll bet the attorney would take this one for free, and it would be a very quick return.

There are so many options here.

Mark Padgett Wed Nov 19, 2014 07:14pm

Contact your local chapter of the ACLU. They'll love to take on this fight for you and probably at no charge.

JRutledge Wed Nov 19, 2014 07:30pm

All I can say is that it is very uncommon that any female works a boys basketball game at the varsity level. But on the flip side women get a lot of great opportunities and girls or NCAAW basketball usually faster than men at the same level of experience or opportunities. And it is not uncommon either that anyone that works a lot of girls do not get a lot of boys opportunities either in the regular season or post season. So I guess it would be hard here to complain of who you send to a game.

Peace

justacoach Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 944131)
Ridiculous. Is there any way that the state high school league can intervene?

The VA head poobah for HS basketball is named Joyce!!