The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

3) If one takes the position that NCAAW R4-S35-A2 means that there cannot ever be a primary defender during a fast break play, then in the play being discussed, no defender would be allowed to defend B-11 once she gains PC of the Ball and has to be allowed to drive to the Basket uncontested, which in nonsense.

MTD, Sr.
That is not what the rule says at all. I'm not really sure how you came to that conclusion.

NCAA-W Case Book (2014-2015)

A.R. 96. Team A is on a 3 on 2 or a 2 on 3 fast break, and any player on Team B takes an initial guarding position (1) within the restricted area with two feet on the floor and facing the opponent, or (2) outside the restricted area with two feet on the floor and facing the opponent in an attempt to draw a player control/charging foul. A2, who is located outside the lower defensive box, receives a pass before making her move to the basket and crashes into the torso of the Team B player, and the official calls a player control/charging foul.

RULING: (1) The official is incorrect. The Team B player may not establish initial legal guarding position inside the restricted area when guarding a player who has the ball and was located outside the lower defensive box when she started her move to the basket, and the illegal contact by B is a blocking foul. (2) The official is correct. Even though the Team B player is initially a secondary defender, she did not establish initial guarding position inside the restricted area. When illegal contact occurs, it shall be a player control/charging foul. (Rule 4-30, 4-35.3 and 10-1.13)

This clip is literally this case book play save for it being a 4 v 3 fast break.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Post Adding to the fire

The other interesting thing about this play is they had to go to the monitor to figure out who the foul was on. Obviously the RA was not reviewable but they weren't sure of the player.

It seems like both officials had a lapse during the play. They were not sure who was going to come out with it and then they forgot to get the player.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 03:55pm
Often wrong never n doubt

This just reminded me why I hate the RA.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 04:05pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Looked like the C is pointing at something about the time the L makes the punch.
I agree with this. And what I think she's pointing at is the RA, not telling the L to "take it". As if to say to the L "You saw she was over the RA, right?" Then L comes out and bangs a charge. From outside her primary. Like others have said, just a guess on my part.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
1) NCAAW R4-S35-A2 states that in a fast break situation all defenders are initially secondary defenders. That does not mean that all defenders are secondary defenders during the entire fast break play which would be nonsense. At some point during the fast break play there is the possibility that there will be a defender who will become the primary defender against the ball handler. By rule the RA applies to a secondary defender and does not apply to the primary defender.
Mark, they're initially secondary defenders as far as the RA is concerned. Defenders on a fast break can always draw PC fouls as long as they establish LGP outside the RA.

I can't find the interp - which annoys me - but I remember being told they keep secondary defender status until the offense shoots or stops attacking the goal.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 05:07pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
but I remember being told they keep secondary defender status until the offense shoots or stops attacking the goal.
Not sure if there is a case play for this, but it is part of the definition. Try looking in the rule book instead of the case book.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Not sure if there is a case play for this, but it is part of the definition. Try looking in the rule book instead of the case book.
Thanks. It's in 10-13. It doesn't specifically discuss fast breaks within the rule and that's where I got stuck in my search.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 08:21am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I agree with this. And what I think she's pointing at is the RA, not telling the L to "take it". As if to say to the L "You saw she was over the RA, right?" Then L comes out and bangs a charge. From outside her primary. Like others have said, just a guess on my part.
When I watch it the C looks very unsure. I think her point could be saying "was she in the RA? I can't tell". Could be wrong though.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 10:18am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
When I watch it the C looks very unsure. I think her point could be saying "was she in the RA? I can't tell". Could be wrong though.
Yup, she could be doing that too. Just a guess on my part.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
they keep secondary defender status until the offense shoots or stops attacking the goal.
The pass does not negate the fast break.