The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Uconn v Stanford Women's (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98653-uconn-v-stanford-womens-video.html)

RefCT Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:43pm

Uconn v Stanford Women's (Video)

Going into the under 8 timeout with 7:50 left or so. Charge call but it looked like she was on the RA.

Anybody else see it or able to post video? Interested in the thoughts of the college officials.

bballref3966 Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:01pm

Not only that, but Brenda Pantoja just gave a one-finger directional signal after a monitor review! ;)

RefCT Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:13pm

Foul signal

On Stanford's three to tie the game with a second left, from the opposite end line camera angle, you can see the lead go up with a fist and switch it to a three point signal when it is good. A case of a brain fart for her or was she going to call a foul if it was missed?

SC Official Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:21pm

I saw the RA play, too. Looked to be in the RA, I think the C is supposed to help out on that.

In other news, Doris Burke just threw a fit about a foul call at 2:13 in OT. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for her!

APG Tue Nov 18, 2014 02:46am

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/RFWtQiRq3bA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JetMetFan Tue Nov 18, 2014 06:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 943889)
Going into the under 8 timeout with 7:50 left or so. Charge call but it looked like she was on the RA.

Anybody else see it or able to post video? Interested in the thoughts of the college officials.

It would appear it was missed. According to our mechanics the wrong official made the call as well. It should have been the C's all the way with the L as help.

I'd be stunned if that one wasn't clipped and sent to the assignor and/or if it doesn't find its way to our Central Hub on Arbiter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 943898)
On Stanford's three to tie the game with a second left, from the opposite end line camera angle, you can see the lead go up with a fist and switch it to a three point signal when it is good. A case of a brain fart for her or was she going to call a foul if it was missed?

Just watched it. She may have mulligan-ed. Went up with the fist because she saw contact then thought better of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 943899)
In other news, Doris Burke just threw a fit about a foul call at 2:13 in OT. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for her!

Not really a "fit" but the call may have left a little to be desired. Where UConn could complain is the signal given was a push/two-hand touch and UConn #41 never put two hands on the BH/dribbler.

SNIPERBBB Tue Nov 18, 2014 06:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 943899)
I saw the RA play, too. Looked to be in the RA, I think the C is supposed to help out on that.

Looked like the C is pointing at something about the time the L makes the punch.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Nov 18, 2014 07:01am

CHARGE!!

MTD, Sr.

APG Tue Nov 18, 2014 07:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 943912)
CHARGE!!

MTD, Sr.

Umm.....what?! :confused:

Rich Tue Nov 18, 2014 07:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 943913)
Umm.....what?! :confused:

You have to forgive Mark - he thinks EVERYTHING is a charge. Even when it's not, by rule.

rockyroad Tue Nov 18, 2014 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 943911)
Looked like the C is pointing at something about the time the L makes the punch.

It looks like the C is pointing at the L with the "You got this one" point...which, as JMF said, is wrong. Should have been C's call all the way. And it also kind of looks like the L is surprised that the C is giving it up.

And JMF, I agree - it will be on the hub some time this week! :eek:

zm1283 Tue Nov 18, 2014 09:53am

I don't work any level with the RA, but can't the Center come in on plays like this and give the Lead information that the defender was in the RA? That is assuming the Center sees the defender in the RA to begin with, which I'm not sure she did on this play.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 943926)
I don't work any level with the RA, but can't the Center come in on plays like this and give the Lead information that the defender was in the RA? That is assuming the Center sees the defender in the RA to begin with, which I'm not sure she did on this play.

yes, the center can help.

Rob1968 Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:07am

White 41, guarding Blue 30, slid over to take the charge. Would she be considered a secondary defender?
If so, does that change the mind-set of the C and L, as to which official takes the call?
Would that explain the point by the C, that seems to indicate that L should take the call?
Is there a difference as to which official takes that call, based on when/where the ballhandler received the pass, that is, as she crossed the freethrow line extended, or if she had received the pass higher, on her path to the basket?

bob jenkins Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 943931)
White 41, guarding Blue 30, slid over to take the charge. Would she be considered a secondary defender?
If so, does that change the mind-set of the C and L, as to which official takes the call?
Would that explain the point by the C, that seems to indicate that L should take the call?
Is there a difference as to which official takes that call, based on when/where the ballhandler received the pass, that is, as she crossed the freethrow line extended, or if she had received the pass higher, on her path to the basket?

On drives from C to L, C takes the call (in NCAAW).

On a fastbreak, any defensive player is a secondary defender (in NCAAW)