The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Post Uconn v Stanford Women's (Video)

Going into the under 8 timeout with 7:50 left or so. Charge call but it looked like she was on the RA.

Anybody else see it or able to post video? Interested in the thoughts of the college officials.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Not only that, but Brenda Pantoja just gave a one-finger directional signal after a monitor review!

Last edited by bballref3966; Mon Nov 17, 2014 at 11:05pm.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Foul signal

On Stanford's three to tie the game with a second left, from the opposite end line camera angle, you can see the lead go up with a fist and switch it to a three point signal when it is good. A case of a brain fart for her or was she going to call a foul if it was missed?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the RA play, too. Looked to be in the RA, I think the C is supposed to help out on that.

In other news, Doris Burke just threw a fit about a foul call at 2:13 in OT. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for her!
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
Going into the under 8 timeout with 7:50 left or so. Charge call but it looked like she was on the RA.

Anybody else see it or able to post video? Interested in the thoughts of the college officials.
It would appear it was missed. According to our mechanics the wrong official made the call as well. It should have been the C's all the way with the L as help.

I'd be stunned if that one wasn't clipped and sent to the assignor and/or if it doesn't find its way to our Central Hub on Arbiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
On Stanford's three to tie the game with a second left, from the opposite end line camera angle, you can see the lead go up with a fist and switch it to a three point signal when it is good. A case of a brain fart for her or was she going to call a foul if it was missed?
Just watched it. She may have mulligan-ed. Went up with the fist because she saw contact then thought better of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
In other news, Doris Burke just threw a fit about a foul call at 2:13 in OT. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for her!
Not really a "fit" but the call may have left a little to be desired. Where UConn could complain is the signal given was a push/two-hand touch and UConn #41 never put two hands on the BH/dribbler.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Nov 18, 2014 at 07:00am.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I saw the RA play, too. Looked to be in the RA, I think the C is supposed to help out on that.

Looked like the C is pointing at something about the time the L makes the punch.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 07:01am
Administrator

CHARGE!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
CHARGE!!

MTD, Sr.

Umm.....what?!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 07:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Umm.....what?!
You have to forgive Mark - he thinks EVERYTHING is a charge. Even when it's not, by rule.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 09:01am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Looked like the C is pointing at something about the time the L makes the punch.
It looks like the C is pointing at the L with the "You got this one" point...which, as JMF said, is wrong. Should have been C's call all the way. And it also kind of looks like the L is surprised that the C is giving it up.

And JMF, I agree - it will be on the hub some time this week!
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I don't work any level with the RA, but can't the Center come in on plays like this and give the Lead information that the defender was in the RA? That is assuming the Center sees the defender in the RA to begin with, which I'm not sure she did on this play.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I don't work any level with the RA, but can't the Center come in on plays like this and give the Lead information that the defender was in the RA? That is assuming the Center sees the defender in the RA to begin with, which I'm not sure she did on this play.
yes, the center can help.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

White 41, guarding Blue 30, slid over to take the charge. Would she be considered a secondary defender?
If so, does that change the mind-set of the C and L, as to which official takes the call?
Would that explain the point by the C, that seems to indicate that L should take the call?
Is there a difference as to which official takes that call, based on when/where the ballhandler received the pass, that is, as she crossed the freethrow line extended, or if she had received the pass higher, on her path to the basket?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
White 41, guarding Blue 30, slid over to take the charge. Would she be considered a secondary defender?
If so, does that change the mind-set of the C and L, as to which official takes the call?
Would that explain the point by the C, that seems to indicate that L should take the call?
Is there a difference as to which official takes that call, based on when/where the ballhandler received the pass, that is, as she crossed the freethrow line extended, or if she had received the pass higher, on her path to the basket?
On drives from C to L, C takes the call (in NCAAW).

On a fastbreak, any defensive player is a secondary defender (in NCAAW)