The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
White 41, guarding Blue 30, slid over to take the charge. Would she be considered a secondary defender?
If so, does that change the mind-set of the C and L, as to which official takes the call?
Would that explain the point by the C, that seems to indicate that L should take the call?
Is there a difference as to which official takes that call, based on when/where the ballhandler received the pass, that is, as she crossed the freethrow line extended, or if she had received the pass higher, on her path to the basket?
A couple of things. Here's a screen grab of the moment UConn #30 establishes PC:

*Once the UConn player caught the pass, she was in the C's PCA. Any contact on the C's side of the lane is hers. The L is supposed to help if needed.
*She caught the pass/began her move outside the LDB so the RA is on (I'm teaching myself to go through that thought process).
*By rule, every defender in a fast break situation is a secondary defender (NCAAW 4.35.2). We have to expect the player closest to the goal is going to slide over.

What I think happened - and this is obviously just a guess - is even though we only see a fist from the C, the L may have blown her whistle first and that threw off the C's concentration. The L didn't see the C make a call and instead of telling the C to take it, she kept it.

I'm making that guess based on something that happened to me in a scrimmage about ten days ago. Same type of fast break situation, I'm the C but the contact was actually on the block nearest to me as opposed to deeper in the lane. My L not only had a whistle he also had a preliminary. Thankfully we both had a block but hearing his whistle when I didn't expect anyone else to blow threw me off and my mechanics on the play were horrible.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 11:29am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

What I think happened - and this is obviously just a guess - is even though we only see a fist from the C, the L may have blown her whistle first and that threw off the C's concentration. The L didn't see the C make a call and instead of telling the C to take it, she kept it.

I can see that as a possibility...sure looks like the L is waiting for the C to take the call. And then when C points to L, she hits her whistle again (ugh) and sells the signal.

Would love to hear from the C why she gave that up.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 11:40am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
A couple of things. Here's a screen grab of the moment UConn #30 establishes PC:

*Once the UConn player caught the pass, she was in the C's PCA. Any contact on the C's side of the lane is hers. The L is supposed to help if needed.
*She caught the pass/began her move outside the LDB so the RA is on (I'm teaching myself to go through that thought process).
*By rule, every defender in a fast break situation is a secondary defender (NCAAW 4.35.2). We have to expect the player closest to the goal is going to slide over.

I'm making that guess based on something that happened to me in a scrimmage about ten days ago. Same type of fast break situation, I'm the C but the contact was actually on the block nearest to me as opposed to deeper in the lane. My L not only had a whistle he also had a preliminary. Thankfully we both had a block but hearing his whistle when I didn't expect anyone else to blow threw me off and my mechanics on the play were horrible.

JetManFan:

You forgot the most important word in NCAAW R4-S35-A2: "initially". When B-11 gained PC of the Ball there was no defender between her and the Basket. W-41 established a LGP against B-11 before B-11 became airborne.

I agree that in theory the C should have this play all the way to the Basket. And in this type of play the L has a good look at W-41 coming from her PCA to establish a LGP. My problem is that the L may have been straight-lined just before B-11 became airborne, none-the-less, this was an easy charge for the C to get.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Tue Nov 18, 2014 at 01:16pm. Reason: Corrected typo in last sentence of first paragraph.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, this IS NOT a charge period.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
W-41 established a LGP against B-11 before W-41 became airborne.
Typo? Or, am I missing something.

And, I agree that this should NOT have been a PC foul because of the RA.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
JetManFan:

You forgot the most important word in NCAAW R4-S35-A2: "initially". When B-11 gained PC of the Ball there was no defender between her and the Basket. W-41 established a LGP against B-11 before W-41 became airborne.

I agree that in theory the C should have this play all the way to the Basket. And in this type of play the L has a good look at W-41 coming from her PCA to establish a LGP. My problem is that the L may have been straight-lined just before B-11 became airborne, none-the-less, this was an easy charge for the C to get.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, you are aware of the purpose of that little arc they drew under the basket, right?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Mark, this IS NOT a charge period.
By the RA rule, you're correct, it is a block. But there is nothing about this play that "should" make it a block aside from an arbitrary line on the court.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I struggle to see how anyone sees this as a charge after watching the replay (so I'm honestly looking for your opinion if it is different). I don't work women's so I may be out of the loop on the rules. On the men's side this is a block all day long as the defender never establishes LGP outside of the RA in my opinion. The contact can happen in the RA and be an offensive foul if the defender establishes LGP and retreats into the RA. These calls are tough and we should never criticize an official for missing heels being in the RA.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
By the RA rule, you're correct, it is a block. But there is nothing about this play that "should" make it a block aside from an arbitrary line on the court.
I think that is the point. The RA is at play. If it was not, then Mark or anyone would have a case for a charge.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Typo? Or, am I missing something.

And, I agree that this should NOT have been a PC foul because of the RA.

Bob:

It was a typo and I corrected it.

This is a charge because A-41 was the primary defender therefore, the RA is not relevant to the play.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Okay...and?

This is an RA play...short of Mark not knowing the rule, there's no case for a charge on this play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Bob:

This is a charge because A-41 was the primary defender therefore, the RA is not relevant to the play.

MTD, Sr.
Unless the rule is different in Women's, on a fast break everyone is a secondary defender.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob:

MTD, Sr.
1. This is a fast break

2. The defender is a help defender who came to help off the player she was initially guarding in the paint...this also makes her a secondary defender.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:35pm
Administrator

1) NCAAW R4-S35-A2 states that in a fast break situation all defenders are initially secondary defenders. That does not mean that all defenders are secondary defenders during the entire fast break play which would be nonsense. At some point during the fast break play there is the possibility that there will be a defender who will become the primary defender against the ball handler. By rule the RA applies to a secondary defender and does not apply to the primary defender.

2) As Warner Wolfe would say: "Lets go to the video!" When B-11 gains PC control of the ball she has a clear path to the Basket; there are no defenders between her and the Basket. She is not being defended. That means when A-41 established a LGP against B-11, she became the primary defender against B-11. The RA does not apply in this situation and B-11 charges into A-41.

3) If one takes the position that NCAAW R4-S35-A2 means that there cannot ever be a primary defender during a fast break play, then in the play being discussed, no defender would be allowed to defend B-11 once she gains PC of the Ball and has to be allowed to drive to the Basket uncontested, which in nonsense.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
then in the play being discussed, no defender would be allowed to defend B-11 once she gains PC of the Ball and has to be allowed to drive to the Basket uncontested, which in nonsense.

MTD, Sr.
That's not at all what the rule says or what the rule means.