Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
Agreed, but this is my first year as an official... And I'm 16 :/

Coaches do not have any problems giving me the business up and down the court. If I T 'em for this every time, there won't be any coaches on the floor, and my assignors will take notice, give me grief, and probably pull my assignments.

On the other hand, If I let bench personnel walk all over me, my games quickly turn to crap. It's hard being a rookie
Find a mentor who can help you with this issue -- you're right it's hard. What you need is tools that work for you in between nothing and the T. Different referees use different tools -- warning looks, stop signs, "that's enough," "coach, please let it go." Different tools work for different referees - and what works for the 60-year-old vet ain't necessarily gonna work for you. But there are tools out there you can use so that when you whack the coach he knows he earned it.

(I was an 11 year old soccer referee many, many moons ago, so I get where you are coming from -- I tossed a coach when I was 12 . . . I also did basketball as a teenager but that was in a church school league that didn't really have a lot of coach issues, so I don't have a great tool set to share -- soccer control tools can be a bit different due to the difference in the setting.)
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 06:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why would ANYONE take crap in a scrimmage where they aren't being paid? We're doing them a favor.
To give back and show I'm not above it all.

I believe my HS associations contracts are written that schools are afforded a set amount of free scrimmages.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 07:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
We are "required to work ~ 4 free scrimmages, and I don't mind it one bit.

I enjoy prepping for the season and make my $ later in the year.

Say what you will.

PS - I get to pick my games/schools and don't have to travel far. I truly love my avocation.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 07:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I love working, too, but I'm not going to allow myself to get worked in a scrimmage.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 09:30pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
To give back and show I'm not above it all.

It is one thing to willing volunteer your time. It is a something significantly different for the schools, association, or assignor to expect or demand people donate their time.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 09:42pm
wife loves the goatee...

I have been told (you know how that works) that Central VA schools may pay a travel fee for scrimmages and it goes into our associations kitty to balance out the schools we "low bid" during the season. That way all regular games pay the same fee.
Theoretically....
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 12:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
It is one thing to willing volunteer your time. It is a something significantly different for the schools, association, or assignor to expect or demand people donate their time.
It's in the contracts, part of negotiations. No strong arming involved.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 12:12am
Do not give a damn!!

I still have not gotten an answer yet to this question. Are these regular games or game like situations cloaked in a pre-season event? Because a scrimmage here is a inter-squad contest which is often very informal and not very heated. The only time I have ever thought of giving a T in any of these type of games, was as a gag that the coaches were in on the gag. I cannot even imagine a coach getting that upset over any call. And if they got upset, a T would not come to mind.

Also, some pay. Others do not. And usually we bring multiple officials to them so the guys can work and get to see ball they normally might not see. We use these as training opportunities more than anything. That is why I cannot understand a coach getting that upset over all call.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I still have not gotten an answer yet to this question. Are these regular games or game like situations cloaked in a pre-season event? Because a scrimmage here is a inter-squad contest which is often very informal and not very heated. The only time I have ever thought of giving a T in any of these type of games, was as a gag that the coaches were in on the gag. I cannot even imagine a coach getting that upset over any call. And if they got upset, a T would not come to mind.

Also, some pay. Others do not. And usually we bring multiple officials to them so the guys can work and get to see ball they normally might not see. We use these as training opportunities more than anything. That is why I cannot understand a coach getting that upset over all call.

Peace
Well, on this particular day, I worked 4 games. This was the last game of the night and according to the crowd and the coaches that were waiting for their games to start, I was sucking. So naturally, near the end of my last game of the day, I'm worn out. Yes these we're two different teams with two coaches both as energetic and wild as could be toward their players and my partner and I. But I didnt have problems with either HC. This was probably just an AC with anger issues....
One of the reasons I started this thread was to hear opinions of giving technicals in scrimmages and preseason. Assignors seem to not like it. Veterans tell us it's a bad idea.. But it's what an official would do in a regular contest. Why is there a difference between a T in a scrimmage vs. a T in a game?

And to settle it, no thiese games did not pay, but guess who got free pizza before he got ran out of the gym
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 12:38am
Courageous When Prudent

No T from me, just insistence that I won't continue without AC leaving.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 12:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Now the situation makes a little more sense to me. Teams cannot play each other before the actual season starts. So we have no such conflict like what was described.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Now the situation makes a little more sense to me. Teams cannot play each other before the actual season starts. So we have no such conflict like what was described.

Peace
Ok?
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 01:52am
Administrator

The schools, Ohio, (and SE Michigan) pay the officials for the scrimmages. I don't know of any official who would expose himself, liability wise, and not be compensated for his work.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
One of the reasons I started this thread was to hear opinions of giving technicals in scrimmages and preseason. Assignors seem to not like it. Veterans tell us it's a bad idea.. But it's what an official would do in a regular contest. Why is there a difference between a T in a scrimmage vs. a T in a game?
The difference is that these games are for the players to get in a practice game or two before the regular season starts. And for them and the coaches to get used to the new rules/points of emphasis. Because the games don't count, there shouldn't be much complaining if they think u missed a call. Also, around here, we usually play 6 quarters and reset the score after each quarter. Don't even count team fouls, so no one's ever in foul trouble. Only shoot free throws on shooting fouls. So, it's a bad idea to be handing out technicals, because everyone should be chill. Sounds like in your game, at least one team was treating it like the State finals.

What was the format of your scrimmage? Exact same rules as a regular game (4 quarters, shoot 1-and-1 at 7 fouls in half, etc...)?

Also - u never answered my previous question. U said the team A was upset because u called the foul on A2 instead of A1. Did u mean to say B2? Or, did they think u had the wrong guy on team A?
Old Sat Nov 15, 2014, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The schools, Ohio, (and SE Michigan) pay the officials for the scrimmages. I don't know of any official who would expose himself, liability wise, and not be compensated for his work.

MTD, Sr.
Mark,

In Illinois the minute you register with the state association you are covered by a million dollar insurance policy. This policy covers not only high school related events but grade school, ymca, etc whether you are paid or not. Check with your state. You likely have something similar.

Also, referees aren't losing cases. A thread for another day. As basketball official, if player is hurt--don't play doctor unless you are one. And give them all the time in the world to get the person off the Court. Don't Rush them. ...and don't hit anybody...