The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 01:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Having read all six pages to this point ... The consensus is that the player who enters the court after the ball is live will receive an immediate tech? (Irrelevant whether or not he gains any advantage).
Following a timeout, it's a team technical, not a player technical.

Following a lengthy substitution process, it's nothing unless there's an advantage created by the player coming back on late.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 01:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Does anybody attempt to keep up with this? I don't. I have advised coaches, off the record, whatever you do, don't send a player to report at the end of the timeout, because they may not be allowed in. If you really need a sub at this point, just send him in. Chances are, nobody will notice.
Yes, anyone who reports after the warning horn gets to wait. And at the high school level, around here, the table almost always lets me know. If he "really needs" a sub, he should have sent him sooner.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 02:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

Does anybody attempt to keep up with this? I don't. I have advised coaches, off the record, whatever you do, don't send a player to report at the end of the timeout, because they may not be allowed in. If you really need a sub at this point, just send him in. Chances are, nobody will notice.
I've never spoke to coaches about it, but I think it in my head a lot. I'm sure the more cunning coaches do this.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 03:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I've never spoke to coaches about it, but I think it in my head a lot. I'm sure the more cunning coaches do this.
But if they do notice, it's a technical foul. Not a risk most want to take on, and certainly not something I ever want to suggest to a coach. Am I understanding you guys wrong?
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 03:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
But if they do notice, it's a technical foul. Not a risk most want to take on, and certainly not something I ever want to suggest to a coach. Am I understanding you guys wrong?
Oh, I never have conversations with coaches, on or off the record.

But I know there have been times when I see a team breaking the huddle, and I wonder to myself, "are there any new players who didn't check in?"

Especially those times when only 4 players come on the court after a time-out, then the coach turns and says, "Billy, what the hell are you doing, get in there."
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 10:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: How about one team having six players on the court? Be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sounds great, Mark. However, I'm guessing you just forgot. Lots of thing shouldn't happen, but they do. This is one, and discussions about how to deal with it aren't really helped by saying, "This should never happen."

Adam:

I will address your post first. I am getting senile in my old age but allowing a game to restart with a team having only four players on the court is something I would remember. I did not say that it should never happen. You said "should never happen." I said: "this type of thing should not ever happen." Remember, the late J. Dallas Shirley said: "Never say never and never say always."

Billy:

Yes, I have had instances of six players on the court of one team, but not I do not remember allowing a game to restart with six players on the court. That said, like every one on this board I have had a sixth player run on the court.

But I remember one situation in a girls' H.S. jr. varsity game years ago. The Home team dressed only six players. We were in the middle of the third quarter and the Visitors had the ball Table Side in their front court and I was Trail when the Visitors requested and was granted a timeout. I administered the Visitors' throw-in after the timeout in front of their bench. V-1 inbounded the ball to V-2 opposite side of the front court. As V-2 drove to the basket, H-1 ran passed me toward her bench and out of my vision. As V-2 scored, H-6 ran into the Visitors' front court. At first glance I thought it was H-1 running back until I realized that it was H-6 and not H-1. Of course we had probably had six players in the court at the same time during this play. None-the-less we had three possible TF scenarios but we choose to charge the Home Team with a TF for having six players on the court. The hilarious part was the V-HC thought we shouldn't allow her team's basket because the other team had six players on the court .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio