The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Question

FED Rules:
Can the DH re-enter the game if the player he was hitting for already entered the game as an offensive player. What happened was, the fielder ran for the DH, and later in the game the coach wanted to re-enter the DH to hit, then would go to the field.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

For federation rules this is ok. ALL ten or nine starters can leave and reenter once. I believe this is rule 3. NAIA does not allow the reentry rule to apply to pitchers or DH.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Yep, this is perfectly legal. The full cycle is this:

Say the DH is hitting for F9. DH hits safely and F9 comes into pinch run, DH has left the game and DH role is terminated. Since DH was a starter, DH can re-enter. Later in the game, F9 comes to bat, again this is legal since F9 replaced the DH in the batting order. Still later, DH comes into the game to pinch hit for F9, DH has replaced F9 and has re-entered the game. This is the first time out for starter F9, so she can re-enter. When the team goes back out on defense, F9 takes her position on defense, she has replaced the DH who can no longer enter the game, she's done. Finally S1 pinch hits for F9, now F9 is done and S1 must go out on defense or be replaced by S2.

Of course all of these changes must be reported to the PU as they happen or you have an unreported substitution, but that's a whole 'nother rule.

Hope that helps.

[Edited by SamNVa on Apr 26th, 2001 at 11:45 PM]
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

F9 reentering

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Yep, this is perfectly legal. The full cycle is this:

Say the DH is hitting for F9. DH hits safely and F9 comes into pinch run, DH has left the game and DH role is terminated. Since DH was a starter, DH can re-enter. Later in the game, F9 comes to bat, again this is legal since F9 replaced the DH in the batting order. Still later, DH comes into the game to pinch hit for F9, DH has replaced F9 and has re-entered the game. This is the first time out for starter F9, so she can re-enter. When the team goes back out on defense, F9 takes her position on defense, she has replaced the DH who can no longer enter the game, she's done. Finally S1 pinch hits for F9, now F9 is done and S1 must go out on defense or be replaced by S2.

Of course all of these changes must be reported to the PU as they happen or you have an unreported substitution, but that's a whole 'nother rule.

I do not believe, in Fed rules,that F9 can re-enter after he has become a pinch runner for the DH because only starters can re-enter the game not pinch runners. Am I right or wrong?

Greg

[Edited by SamNVa on Apr 26th, 2001 at 11:45 PM]
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
F9 is a starter on defense, when he replaces the DH as a runner he is just entering the game on offense which terminates the DH role, and takes the DH out of the game for the 1st time.

(P.S. Sorry for the "she" references in my earlier post, I did a softball game today.)
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Is the DH Considered a starter?

Is the DH and the player for who he is batting both considered starters?
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

The DH and the fielder he is batting for are both starters and have re-entry privileges.

Bob
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 11:21pm
Michael Taylor

If you get a chance get a copy of Carl's BRD. It has a good section on DH re-entries and shifts. It's not too bad for FED, but NCAA DH is brutal.

What you describe is legal. If I follow correctly I think the other player could still re-enter for the original DH but it kill the replaced player for the game.