The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 15, 2014, 08:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Is there anyone who can find a fundamental, factual flaw within this instruction?
Nope, nor can I find a compelling reason for it. Therefore, I'll continue to go with the norm around here.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2014, 10:35pm
Stubborn Member

I can't believe this subject has garnered three pages of conversation.

Those that have told us to call them "orange" instead of "red", or "purple" instead of "blue", are probably not going to care either way. But regardless of the possible repercussions, why not just call the team wearing orange "orange"?

Besides, in our pre-game meeting with each team's captain(s) we let them know what color they will be called. If they want to be called something else due to school pride regarding their colors... who cares? Just do it.

BTW, it looks like orange and purple are there now.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 12:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I can't believe this subject has garnered three pages of conversation.

Those that have told us to call them "orange" instead of "red", or "purple" instead of "blue", are probably not going to care either way. But regardless of the possible repercussions, why not just call the team wearing orange "orange"?

Besides, in our pre-game meeting with each team's captain(s) we let them know what color they will be called. If they want to be called something else due to school pride regarding their colors... who cares? Just do it.

[IMG]http://image.ssww.com/catimages/SWSA-SWSZ/SWSC/SC0001-
My job as an official is not predicated on what they like. And I stated clearly why earlier why I do not say two or three syllable words. I also said never had anyone care what we called them that deep. And if they cannot understand my reasoning, oh well, their life will go on.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 02:58am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Hey Freddo, you ever been to Mike Conlin's CABO camp?
Yep. Coming up again this weekend. Will PM you.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 06:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Unwashed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When I grew up, I only had the box of eight crayola crayons.
I had the box of sixty-four crayons, with a sharpener. Of course I never used the sharpener, my personal British butler always sharpened the crayons before I started coloring. My personal French maid would always clean up the art room after I finished coloring.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 06:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

You've actually had players who cared? Who've commented?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I dont' knwo about flaw, but how far do we take it? What if they object to orange and want it to be "burnt orange?" Or want "maize" for "yellow." or "crimson" or "scarlett" or "cherry" for red?

Honestly, when I grew up, I only had the box of eight crayola crayons, and orange and purple were missing. Seriously.
Bob,

Your parents didn't splurge and get you the box with 64 and the sharpener in the middle ???? I'm sure Billy Mac can find a picture of one of those....
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
My question is, why worry about it one way or the other. I see this like I see the question of wether to take a rolling suitcase or shoulder-carry duffel bag. Do what you want unless it'll make you stand out in a negative way.

Quote:
Wait what? I've never done this. I've had partners do it, but they tend to follow up with reminding them that we have black lines all the way around and talking about the current year POEs.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Because if it was a men's college level camp, they would never say anything like this???
Simply pointing out that it wasn't a high school camp.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Jun 16, 2014 at 12:46pm. Reason: play nice
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BryanV21;936052]I can't believe this subject has garnered three pages of conversation.

"Hello, I am Mr. Bryan your referee AKA Capt. Obvious and you will be red and you will be white. Have a good game and btw the black line is out of bounds......"
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 02:22pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
I never heard of this, either, but I don't think it's a bad idea. I don't see the point in asking for 90% of the teams in this area (white, black, red, gold, blue, green), but if a team wants to be called "purple" (which is as exotic as it gets around here), I don't see a harm in asking. If you think their request is unreasonable, just say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I had the box of sixty-four crayons, with a sharpener. Of course I never used the sharpener, my personal British butler always sharpened the crayons before I started coloring. My personal French maid would always clean up the art room after I finished coloring.
I'm calling BS, Billy. Your Penthouse letter explicitly stated the French maid didn't come into your life until well into adolescence.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 02:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... but if a team wants to be called "purple" (which is as exotic as it gets around here), I don't see a harm in asking. If you think their request is unreasonable, just say so.
I've never had a team wanted to be called anything. It's never been a subject of conversation.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I never heard of this, either, but I don't think it's a bad idea. I don't see the point in asking for 90% of the teams in this area (white, black, red, gold, blue, green), but if a team wants to be called "purple" (which is as exotic as it gets around here), I don't see a harm in asking. If you think their request is unreasonable, just say so.
If you want to ask, go ahead. i Just don't see this as worth even asking. I never even bring it up. If they come when I say "Blue captains!" (and they always do), then they know who I'm talking about. If all they hear is "captains" and the first time they hear blue is when I'm announcing who gets the next throw in, they can bring it up then.

I just don't see a problem worth solving here. I don't even see a problem not worth solving, to be honest.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 07:19pm
Stubborn Member

I've never heard of anybody getting upset about not being called their specific team color. But if a team is purple (and you can clearly tell if it's purple or blue), then why not just call them "purple"? Nobody is saying you need to get so specific about the shade of purple they're wearing.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 07:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Here In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
...then why not just call them "purple"?
Easy answer. Because we're told not to use more than one syllable. That's what our interpreter, and our two previous interpreters, want. That's how I was trained thirty-three years ago, and that's how cadets are trained today. Those that use colors with more than one syllable risk getting poor peer ratings, which will effect their ranking, and that will impact the level, and number, of games that they are assigned.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Closed Thread