Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not sure why anyone would need to know who that one guy is though...
Notifying the captains when play is about to begin at the start of the
game.

The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address
an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential information, if it is
done in a courteous manner.

A captain may request a defensive match-up if three or more substitutes
from the same team enter during an opportunity to substitute.

The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the
offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or
disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute
is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by
the team captain or head coach.

The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any
player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter.
The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Seeing Is Believing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I won't go rulebook digging right now, but I'm quite certain the rule says that any player (read: checked into the game) may address an official.
I will not disagree with the philosophy, but how about a citation, please?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 08:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I will not disagree with the philosophy, but how about a citation, please?
I am pretty sure that the rules allows the captains to do specific things. In practice we do not always speak to officials just because they are a captain. I will speak to the "leader" whether they have the title or any player that is respectful for the most part.

But I do ask for the speaking captain just so I can tell who the coach considers more of their leader.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 08:29am
AremRed

I get your point Billy but there is a difference between what the rulebook allows and what actually happens during typical game. (Slight exaggeration added below).

Quote:
Notifying the captains when play is about to begin at the start of the game.
Literally no one has ever done this.

Quote:
The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential information, if it is done in a courteous manner.
I'll let any player address me if done in a courteous manner.

Quote:
A captain may request a defensive match-up if three or more substitutes from the same team enter during an opportunity to substitute.
No player has ever asked for this.

Quote:
The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach.
Head coach always chooses.

Quote:
The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).
Head coach always chooses.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

At least two of those (notifying captains; asking for a match-up) are incorrect.

And, at least a few times a season, the captain can come in handy to help deal with a different player. It especially seems to help get the message across when you use the first name.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:27am
Stubborn Member

We use the "speaking captain" more as a liaison between us and his/her teammates, not the only person on the team that can speak to us. That doesn't mean we won't talk to any of the players, but some times things happen in which we'll go to the "speaking captain" for help.

Take a situation in which a player is getting frustrated and could become a problem. We'll try and talk to the player, but the player clearly doesn't want to listen to us. In that case we'll go to the "speaking captain" and tell them to calm their team mate down. Sure, we may go to the coach instead or in addition to the "speaking captain", but there are cases in which having one "go to" player can come in handy.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
We use the "speaking captain" more as a liaison between us and his/her teammates, not the only person on the team that can speak to us. That doesn't mean we won't talk to any of the players, but some times things happen in which we'll go to the "speaking captain" for help.

Take a situation in which a player is getting frustrated and could become a problem. We'll try and talk to the player, but the player clearly doesn't want to listen to us. In that case we'll go to the "speaking captain" and tell them to calm their team mate down. Sure, we may go to the coach instead or in addition to the "speaking captain", but there are cases in which having one "go to" player can come in handy.
I have a much easier time picking out the actual leader on the floor than remembering which players were captains before the game started.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I'll start asking for the speaking captain when A) they change the rules to allow only the speaking captain to speak, or B) there's a coin flip. Till then, seems utterly pointless. Frankly, the entire captain's meeting seems pointless, but the rules call for it. And of course, if your particular Rome calls for asking for the speaking captain, then ask.

Last edited by scrounge; Wed Jun 18, 2014 at 10:42am.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I'll start asking for the speaking captain when A) they change the rules to allow only the speaking captain to speak, or B) there's a coin flip. Till then, seems utterly pointless. Frankly, the entire captain's meeting seems pointless, but the rules call for it. And of course, if your particular Rome calls for asking for the speaking captain, then ask.
Agree. Speaking captain? Who cares. I don't ask and if I have a partner who does ask, I'll have forgotten it by the time the captains meeting is over.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 11:50am
Courageous When Prudent

I just fulfill the requirement by asking "Who's speaking for red?"
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I just fulfill the requirement by asking "Who's speaking for red?"
I agree. I do not care to remember honestly beyond asking initially. I do sometimes write it down in the book and that is about it. It is mostly ceremonial so they feel like we are doing our job or give them importance, but it is really not that important to me.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I get your point Billy but there is a difference between what the rulebook allows and what actually happens during typical game. (Slight exaggeration added below).

Literally no one has ever done this.
Wrong. I notify the captains before every toss I make.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:06pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Isn't that outlined in the Mechanics Manual as part of the proper procedure???
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Isn't that outlined in the Mechanics Manual as part of the proper procedure???
I'll get dinged for that one, unless one considers blowing my whistle as notifying the captains.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:27pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Because walking to the center circle with the ball in your hand is not signal enough that the game is about to start?
Closed Thread