Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 07:56pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Easy answer. Because we're told not to use more than one syllable. That's what our interpreter, and our two previous interpreters, want. That's how I was trained thirty-three years ago, and that's how cadets are trained today. Those that use colors with more than one syllable risk getting poor peer ratings, which will effect their ranking, and that will impact the level, and number, of games that they are assigned.
OK. Different strokes.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 11:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Spice Of Life ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Different strokes.
Agree. Not better. Not worse. Just different.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 08:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I've never heard of anybody getting upset about not being called their specific team color. But if a team is purple (and you can clearly tell if it's purple or blue), then why not just call them "purple"? Nobody is saying you need to get so specific about the shade of purple they're wearing.
Because we are not trying to please them, we are trying to communicate to our partners and those that have to record stuff. I do not care what teams think of what we call them.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

The only verifying that I do, regarding colours, is with my partner(s) and table crew. The kids will figure it out . . .
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 09:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
The only verifying that I do, regarding colours, is with my partner(s) and table crew. The kids will figure it out . . .
I never really do either of these. The table crew knows who is who, and so do my partners. There's nothing wrong with doing it like you do, but I just don't see the point.

Solution in search of a problem, IMO
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 09:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I never really do either of these. The table crew knows who is who, and so do my partners. There's nothing wrong with doing it like you do, but I just don't see the point.

Because of my color-blindness, I'll sometimes ask my crew, or the table, or a player what color a jersey is. I've never had anybody answer anything other than the basic 1 syllable colors. Once had a timer say we should call a team "Teal", but that was b/c it was her favorite color.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

My point is, that if my partner(s) tell me they're going to say "orange", then I'll follow suit, or if they're going to say "purple", then I'll do the same. It's just easier, especially in HS games, with the personnel we get at the table, for all of us to use the same designations.

I've had several off-season games, AAU, in which the Home team was light blue, and the Visitors' colour was dark blue. In most instances, we used the nomenclature of "light" and "dark." I've had a couple of partners who insisted on referring to the light blue as white (?) and the dark as blue.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 01:08pm
Stubborn Member

For the record, I won't flat-out ask what color they want to be called, but I will ask for "blue" captains or bring up the color somehow. Or, although it's something we do here even though it's not in the rule book, we'll ask for "blue's" speaking captain (since more than one usually come to mid-court for the captain's meeting).
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 01:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not ask or tell them what I will call them. I might say to my partner if we have one of those in-between colors that we might call them "black" or "blue" or "gold" if the color is close. Heck the other team is "white" anymore so it makes it really simple to understand.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 04:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

With Apologies To Stan Laurel And Oliver Hardy ...

Quote:
... speaking captain ...
Uh oh. Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 05:16pm
beware big brother

There are HS guys around here that ask for and will only talk to the speaking captain as well. What a stupid idea. When I am the R, I never ask who the speaking captain is since it means absolutely nothing to me. I will talk to and answer questions for just about any player that speaks to me in a respectful manner, whether they are the speaking captain, a captain, or just a regular player. Further, I have encountered many games were my partner has asked who the speaking captain is, and that player has turned out to be the biggest jackass in the game. Another antiquated and useless practice that just wont seem to go away.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 06:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Black Line All The Way Around ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
... ask for ... the speaking captain ...
"What's your number? Are you starting?"

Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ask Me About My Belt ...

Quote:
... speaking captain ... What a stupid idea ... Another antiquated and useless practice that just wont seem to go away.
I agree with you, but, lighten up. This is another one of those "When in Rome" moments.

Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 08:56pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
There are HS guys around here that ask for and will only talk to the speaking captain as well. What a stupid idea. When I am the R, I never ask who the speaking captain is since it means absolutely nothing to me. I will talk to and answer questions for just about any player that speaks to me in a respectful manner....
I won't go rulebook digging right now, but I'm quite certain the rule says that any player (read: checked into the game) may address an official.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 10:11pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I won't go rulebook digging right now, but I'm quite certain the rule says that any player (read: checked into the game) may address an official.
Yeah but the rulebook also says a team is composed of five players, one of whom is the captain. Not sure why anyone would need to know who that one guy is though...
Closed Thread