The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 06, 2014, 12:57pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No, he shouldn't be playing football.
Ok Camron, whatever you think. I have never seen a kid at the HS or college level afraid to go after a rebound because of previous physical play. Kids that would be afraid of potential rough play during rebounding situations are weeded out of the game long before they get to that level.

I don't disagree with you that there are times a whistle is needed to clean up certain things or prevent things from escalating, but the idea that there are going to be players too scared to go after a rebound because of previous or potential rough play is just ridiculous.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2014, 01:25pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Ok Camron, whatever you think. I have never seen a kid at the HS or college level afraid to go after a rebound because of previous physical play. Kids that would be afraid of potential rough play during rebounding situations are weeded out of the game long before they get to that level.

I don't disagree with you that there are times a whistle is needed to clean up certain things or prevent things from escalating, but the idea that there are going to be players too scared to go after a rebound because of previous or potential rough play is just ridiculous.
I hear you johnny d but I don't think Camron's view is any less valid than yours. He just has a different way of looking at clean-up fouls that's all.

I could certainly see a player thinking "I went to get a rebound last time and got popped in the chin and they didn't call it" and not going after the next one.

Regardless, rough play should be cleaned up no matter what justification you use.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2014, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I hear you johnny d but I don't think Camron's view is any less valid than yours. He just has a different way of looking at clean-up fouls that's all.

I could certainly see a player thinking "I went to get a rebound last time and got popped in the chin and they didn't call it" and not going after the next one.

Regardless, rough play should be cleaned up no matter what justification you use.
I agree with cleaning up the rough play. The issue proposed by Cameron though is that the standard for rough be determined by the physical and mental toughness of the kids involved in the game. The fact that somone doesn't like that amount of contact doesn't make the play rough.

We see teams all the time with all the god given athleticism in the world but who for whatever reason don't play very fundamentally and very often play teams athletic enough to use fundamental skills to compete with them. Suddenly they get into a game where on every play every player is getting boxed out, every cut/ post is being denied, every player is being closed out and the opponent is willing to put themselves in position to force block charge calls instead of opening up and letting them go.

They don't like it. Its more contact then they are used to and they are frustrated by it. That doesn't mean the game is too rough. This is not specifically what Cameron is talking about but if we apply the idea of the player not wanting to play through that much contact as a standard suddenly perfectly legal plays in anyother game become fouls because the other team doesn't like it or want to be touched.

The official has to be the determinant of adv/disadv and of what is or is not rough play. Not the willingness of coaches, players or fans.

The flip side is true also just because two kids or teams are willing to go at each other doesn't mean we have to let them be out of control just because they both want to play that way and for the most part can handle it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!

Last edited by Pantherdreams; Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 01:40pm.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2014, 05:11pm
This IS My Social Life

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I have never seen a kid at the HS or college level afraid to go after a rebound because of previous physical play.... too scared to go after a rebound because of previous or potential rough play is just ridiculous.
I have. Not "afraid" or "scared". But hesitant. Such hesitancy, when due to no-calls on rough play when calls were, by rule and by a proper feel for the game, justified = advantage to illegally rough team, disadvantage to team abiding by the rules.
Just a thought.
And, I reserve the right to be wrong.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 12:18pm
This IS My Social Life

Report from a Camp . . . New Rule

Camp last weekend first experience with "enter on release" since back in the late '70's or so.
Need for tactful preventative officiating reminders not to enter early was same as with old rule. "Enter when legal" was again the phrase that curbed early entry the best.
Just as many early entry violations called as according to the old rule.
No uptick in rough play that I could detect, and I was lookin'.
Entry by players beyond the arc prior to the attempt hitting the rim occurred, not so much to gain an advantage, but because of players' unfamiliarity with the difference in the rule between lane line players and shooter/others.
All in all, didn't make much a difference in any significant way. I did notice lazy and slow lane line players put themselves at more of a disadvantage due to their laziness and slowness, not because of any illegalities on the part of opponents.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Camp last weekend first experience with "enter on release" since back in the late '70's or so.
You didn't ref in the 80s or early 90s?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 01:10pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You didn't ref in the 80s or early 90s?
Gap for coaching between '84 and mid-90's.
When was it "on the release"? I don't recall exactly.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I played high school ball in the late 80s early 90s, started working some ms ball when I was in college. Took some time off, and when I came back in the late 90s it had changed.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It mush have been right around 2000 that there was a change. I'm fairly certain that I remember playing on the release for most, if not all of my HS years (1998-2001). But by college (playing intermurals/rec leagues), it was all "on contact".
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 04:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Which Rules Are We Using ???

I believe that in my thirty-three years of officiating I've gone from hit, to release, back to hit, and now back to release. Don't ask me the dates, it's all a blurr.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:23am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
First summer tournament. Rule change allowing players along free throw lane to enter on release.
At camp on Monday, our state's rules interpreter told us that all players can enter the lane on the release – including the shooter and players behind the arc. He repeated this when someone else asked if that was the new rule.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
At camp on Monday, our state's rules interpreter told us that all players can enter the lane on the release – including the shooter and players behind the arc. He repeated this when someone else asked if that was the new rule.
Gently suggest to him he might want to pay attention to the words "marked lane spaces" on the NFHS release before he answers that question publicly again.

Oy...
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 03:15am
This IS My Social Life

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
PM me with the name of that "state rules interpreter."
I'll likely encounter him at an upcoming camp or two and want to be ready for it.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Happens To The Best, And The Worst, Of Us ...

Quote:
I'll likely encounter him at an upcoming camp or two and want to be ready for it.
It's probably just a brain fart. The smell will eventually dissipate.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 06:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's probably just a brain fart. The smell will eventually dissipate.
That kind of brain fart is not acceptable from a state interpreter speaking at a camp full of officials.

If it were truly just a brain fart, he would have corrected himself by the end of the day/camp.