View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 06, 2014, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I hear you johnny d but I don't think Camron's view is any less valid than yours. He just has a different way of looking at clean-up fouls that's all.

I could certainly see a player thinking "I went to get a rebound last time and got popped in the chin and they didn't call it" and not going after the next one.

Regardless, rough play should be cleaned up no matter what justification you use.
I agree with cleaning up the rough play. The issue proposed by Cameron though is that the standard for rough be determined by the physical and mental toughness of the kids involved in the game. The fact that somone doesn't like that amount of contact doesn't make the play rough.

We see teams all the time with all the god given athleticism in the world but who for whatever reason don't play very fundamentally and very often play teams athletic enough to use fundamental skills to compete with them. Suddenly they get into a game where on every play every player is getting boxed out, every cut/ post is being denied, every player is being closed out and the opponent is willing to put themselves in position to force block charge calls instead of opening up and letting them go.

They don't like it. Its more contact then they are used to and they are frustrated by it. That doesn't mean the game is too rough. This is not specifically what Cameron is talking about but if we apply the idea of the player not wanting to play through that much contact as a standard suddenly perfectly legal plays in anyother game become fouls because the other team doesn't like it or want to be touched.

The official has to be the determinant of adv/disadv and of what is or is not rough play. Not the willingness of coaches, players or fans.

The flip side is true also just because two kids or teams are willing to go at each other doesn't mean we have to let them be out of control just because they both want to play that way and for the most part can handle it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!

Last edited by Pantherdreams; Fri Jun 06, 2014 at 01:40pm.