The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

I've gone back and watched the video again just to see what happened on the actual play and why it was missed at all.

The reason it was missed is twofold...

1. The L was way too close to the lane and was in a horrible position to see through the players. He should have been several steps off the lane. As the ball came around the corner and at him, he should have moved out.

2. The T was way too high after rotating. He should have been 7-8' closer to the endline, just above the top of the key, at the time the shots were going up. As it was, he was looking at the back of the dribbler...having no angle to see between the players. To make matters worse, the T bailed on the first shot attempt when there were two more to follow before the ball went in. Why have a 3rd if the 3rd is going to leave the play.

Both of those are lazy positions....not moving to get an angle on both and even bailing out to get back to the new lead. If the T has to be that high and bail on the first of 3 shot attempts so he doesn't get beat to the other end. Even the lead was eager to head to the other end before the shot went in and was 6-8 feet inbounds before the throwin occurred.

If either one had been in the right position, it would have been seen and called.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri May 16, 2014 at 12:55am.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 01:22am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
1. The L was way too close to the lane and was in a horrible position to see through the players. He should have been several steps off the lane. As the ball came around the corner and at him, he should have moved out.
I disagree. I think the Lead was in great position to see this defender and the resulting contact. He should have seen this from where he was. Being wider could have helped, but on drives down the middle of the lane you want to be at close-down (according to the camps I have been to). Perhaps even stepping into the lane briefly would have helped.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I disagree. I think the Lead was in great position to see this defender and the resulting contact. He should have seen this from where he was. Being wider could have helped, but on drives down the middle of the lane you want to be at close-down (according to the camps I have been to). Perhaps even stepping into the lane briefly would have helped.
The lead could easily see the defender, but not between the players.

I've found that a position where the players are coming right at you is usually the worst possible place to be. That is the reason we don't stand in the middle of the lane.

The lead was looking at the back of the defender....stacked, straight-lined, close look, or whatever term you prefer. Such a position may be good enough to see if the defender moves laterally after a shooter is airborne but is about the worst possible place to see if the defender is moving forward or not. You have to be to the side to see that.

Being in close down, or in the lane just doesn't give you any angle on that play. Being across the lane would have even been much better than where the lead was. Maybe you want to be in close down when the drive is coming down the other side of the lane, but not when it is coming right at you.
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Both of those are lazy positions....not moving to get an angle on both and even bailing out to get back to the new lead. If the T has to be that high and bail on the first of 3 shot attempts so he doesn't get beat to the other end. Even the lead was eager to head to the other end before the shot went in and was 6-8 feet inbounds before the throwin occurred.

If either one had been in the right position, it would have been seen and called.
This goes along with my idea of the crew's collective head being elsewhere.

It took a while for me to notice the bail by the T since I was focused on the other two guys. If any of them needed to bail to beat these kids down the court (no knock on the kids intended but, bless their hearts, they don't look too fleet afoot), it's time to start rethinking their vocation.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 07:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I've gone back and watched the video again just to see what happened on the actual play and why it was missed at all.

The reason it was missed is twofold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I agree with Camron, the Lead has horrible positioning. Closedown/pinching the paint doesn't mean being flat and stacking yourself. You closedown to a position where you can still get the angle to see between the offensive player and defensive player.
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 11:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

When you're that close to the coach & table, sound your whistle, step way back into the FRA (even if this delay takes a few seconds), and issue the T, then take 3 simple steps backwards and then it's waaaaay easier for the coach to hang themselves, and for the your P to issue the 2nd T.
Old Thu May 22, 2014, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I have a PC.

I can almost guarantee the C had a PC as well, but thought the Lead was going to call it...he takes two hard steps to his right, toward the half court line as if he thought we were sending it north.

The Lead does a sort of hand gesture that leads me to think he was about to call something but then thought it was too late, so he passes.

We need to call something and calling two T's is not the something I'm referring to...okay the coach gets one for mouthing off, but then I give a lot of leeway, especially cause we just kicked this play.
Need to look again. If you have a PC, which I agree with, V is the beneficiary of the "no call". If the coach went nuts because od the no call, what would she have done if the C correctly came in with a PC?
Old Fri May 23, 2014, 10:48pm
#thereferee99

if you are so inclined...

Girls Basketball- Wausau West vs. Marshfield - Live high school sports video on the NFHS Network