The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Team 'A' is shooting the first of a two shot free throw. 'A' coach calls 'A' player to his bench to give instructions. Player leaves the playing floor to talk to coach.

Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

walk over and tell them player needs to be on the floor
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
Team 'A' is shooting the first of a two shot free throw. 'A' coach calls 'A' player to his bench to give instructions. Player leaves the playing floor to talk to coach.
If the player who goes to the bench to talk to the coach is the player who's supposed to be shooting, you briefly "encourage" compliance with the rules (shooter must be inside the circle when the ref is ready to administer the ft), and then set the ball on the line, whistle the violation, and give the ball to B.

If it's not the shooter who's with the coach, just be sure they're behind the free throw line extended, and then go on with the shots.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
If the player who goes to the bench to talk to the coach is the player who's supposed to be shooting, you briefly "encourage" compliance with the rules (shooter must be inside the circle when the ref is ready to administer the ft), and then set the ball on the line, whistle the violation, and give the ball to B.

That is not correct, Juulie. Check 10.1.5 Sit B. There was no time-out or intermission, so you don't use the RPP.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 12:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

If it's not the shooter who's with the coach, just be sure they're behind the free throw line extended, and then go on with the shots.
I think that you may have misread that one, Juulie. The player left the court. The player deliberately went OOB.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The player left the court. The player deliberately went OOB. [/B]
Yes, that is the point. I know that it is a violation, but I'm not sure how to enforce it in this situation.

The player going OOB is not the shooter. The shooter is at the line preparing to shoot.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

After the first free throw, tell the coach and the player that he/she must remain on the playing floor.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The player left the court. The player deliberately went OOB.
Yes, that is the point. I know that it is a violation, but I'm not sure how to enforce it in this situation.

The player going OOB is not the shooter. The shooter is at the line preparing to shoot. [/B]
If you're gonna call it, treat it the same as any other violation made during a FT by the shooting team. Call the violation as soon as the FT shooter's teammate leaves the court, cancel the first FT, and then administer the second FT.

Asd others have said, there are other game-management options that might be a wiser choice.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Quote:

That is not correct, Juulie. Check 10.1.5 Sit B. There was no time-out or intermission, so you don't use the RPP.
What I described is not the RPP. However, you're right about the technical. I couldn't find a good reference for it.