View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I disagree. I think the Lead was in great position to see this defender and the resulting contact. He should have seen this from where he was. Being wider could have helped, but on drives down the middle of the lane you want to be at close-down (according to the camps I have been to). Perhaps even stepping into the lane briefly would have helped.
The lead could easily see the defender, but not between the players.

I've found that a position where the players are coming right at you is usually the worst possible place to be. That is the reason we don't stand in the middle of the lane.

The lead was looking at the back of the defender....stacked, straight-lined, close look, or whatever term you prefer. Such a position may be good enough to see if the defender moves laterally after a shooter is airborne but is about the worst possible place to see if the defender is moving forward or not. You have to be to the side to see that.

Being in close down, or in the lane just doesn't give you any angle on that play. Being across the lane would have even been much better than where the lead was. Maybe you want to be in close down when the drive is coming down the other side of the lane, but not when it is coming right at you.