The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How would you handle this situation better (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97897-how-would-you-handle-situation-better-video.html)

Sharpshooternes Tue May 13, 2014 04:20pm

How would you handle this situation better (Video)

Marshfield Coach Ejected From Game - YouTube

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/xDC7LNAL4zk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JetMetFan Tue May 13, 2014 04:28pm

Well, calling something on the contact in the lane would've helped (I have a block). Hard to think with three guys out there no one had anything on the contact.

Continuing the talk to the (newly-ejected) HC probably wasn't the best idea. Call the T, go administer. If she keeps talking and warrants a second, give her another one while you're at the table then continue to administer.

Sharpshooternes Tue May 13, 2014 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 933982)
Well, calling something on the contact in the lane would've helped (I have a block). Hard to think with three guys out there no one had anything on the contact.

Continuing the talk to the (newly-ejected) HC probably wasn't the best idea. Call the T, go administer. If she keeps talking and warrants a second, give her another one while you're at the table then continue to administer.

Why a block?

AremRed Tue May 13, 2014 04:35pm

I don't subscribe to the "two players on the ground needs a call" theory, but you gotta have something here. Pretty easy block. Anyone could have gotten it, but it's Lead's primary.

Once you call the tech you need to get away. Walk away from the coach. Find a partner. Talk to that partner. If the coach needs another tech let a partner get it. Obviously you can get it if egregious but it's gotta be really deserved. Was this reaction to a missed call really deserving of an ejection? I don't know but if I knew I missed a call I'm probably giving the coach a bit more rope. Once you figure out the logistic of who is shooting what where and where the inbound spot is, go directly to the table to report while your P administers the FT. Don't report from the reporting area, go directly up to the scorers and talk to them face-to-face. If there is a timeout start the timeout after all the reporting is done and get away from tableside.

Also, don't hold onto your whistle like a blankie.

JetMetFan Tue May 13, 2014 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 933984)
Why a block?

The defender took a step - more like a half-step - towards the shooter just before contact.

AremRed Tue May 13, 2014 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 933984)
Why a block?

Defender is moving forward at the point of contact.

BryanV21 Tue May 13, 2014 05:15pm

Unless it's an obvious second tech, then I like what AremRed said about letting your partner give the second tech/eject the coach. There was no reason for the guy that initially gave the first tech to stick around. Just walk away.

Then again, I didn't hear what the coach said. Maybe she went way too far in her response to the first one.

A Pennsylvania Coach Tue May 13, 2014 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 933988)
The defender took a step - more like a half-step - towards the shooter just before contact.

So?

This is a no-doubt-about-it charge for me, and the C is the guy who should've had it.

JRutledge Tue May 13, 2014 06:41pm

I do not think the C could necessarily see this. I think he would have guessed at best. I cannot see it from the angle other than contact and that players fell.

And because that probably was the case, the C was not "havin it." The only thing I would have said, after you have given a T, get away from her. If you give another one, then get away even more. Not sure why another official did not come to the trouble area and help out. I am also not saying that the officials could not give both Ts either. I am just saying that do not come to the problem so that it is only your word against their word.

Peace

junruh07 Tue May 13, 2014 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 933993)
So?

This is a no-doubt-about-it charge for me, and the C is the guy who should've had it.

While I do agree with, you (defender had two feet on the floor on the white line and did straighten up some, she didn't move her feet or body forward) it took me watching it several times, so I do feel there could be some doubt about it. As for handling the aftermath, I like to get to my partner fairly quickly after he calls a T to get him out of there. If I call a T, I am moving away from the coach toward a partner to talk about what is coming up next. If the coach wants a second T, he will have to earn it with my back turned.

bainsey Tue May 13, 2014 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 933995)
I do not think the C could necessarily see this.

Same with the L. It's probable both were straightlined, hence the no-call (which should have been something). Penalize with the T, and walk away. If the coach shouts at your back, you have to deal another.

BTW, I have a charge, too. The defender was moving forward during the drive, but obtained LGP before the shooter left the floor.

Adam Tue May 13, 2014 07:52pm

I've got a charge on the play.

As for the 2nd T, whatever she said, she seems to have said it before the official could even get away. I'm all for getting the game moving and switching, but not if that means ignoring something egregious. I can't tell what she said, so it's possible she left the official no choice. I'll defer to the official on site and assume she deserved both and gave him no choice.

Toren Wed May 14, 2014 12:16am

I have a PC.

I can almost guarantee the C had a PC as well, but thought the Lead was going to call it...he takes two hard steps to his right, toward the half court line as if he thought we were sending it north.

The Lead does a sort of hand gesture that leads me to think he was about to call something but then thought it was too late, so he passes.

We need to call something and calling two T's is not the something I'm referring to...okay the coach gets one for mouthing off, but then I give a lot of leeway, especially cause we just kicked this play.

AremRed Wed May 14, 2014 12:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 934014)
I can almost guarantee the C had a PC as well, but thought the Lead was going to call it...he takes two hard steps to his right, toward the half court line as if he thought we were sending it north.

Uh no, he steps to the right because he is bailing on the rebounding play.

Camron Rust Wed May 14, 2014 02:38am

I have a PC.

Shooter never left the floor allowing the defender to move forward up to the point just before before contact. I believe the defender stopped in time.