LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Soup For You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
"You cannot move" ()
I'm not taking the bait.

(And no 10% discount for you when I go on my article signing tour.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 06:47pm
AremRed

I usually specify either "spot throw" or "you can run the end line" for end line throw-ins only. For sideline throw-ins the players should always know it is a spot throw. I haven't heard a credible reason why I shouldn't. What you call "coaching" I, and many others call "preventative officiating".
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Officials Manual 3.2.2 Throw-ins:
C End Line 5. When the clock is stopped, use the proper verbal and visual signal to indicate whether a spot throw-in or running the end line privileges are in effect.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 06:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not taking the bait.

(And no 10% discount for you when I go on my article signing tour.)
Don't worry, I was not going to buy it anyway. Just like I am not buying any IAABO books either.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

Was this coming out of a timeout? Perhaps some preventative officiating could have prevented this?
From this video there is no way to determine wether he did or did not indicate a spot throw in.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Was this coming out of a timeout? Perhaps some preventative officiating could have prevented this?
Spot throw-in after a charge was called on a fastbreak.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 07:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I agree - coming out of the time-out: verify, even from a distance, with my partners what kind - (spot or run the endline) and where is the throw-in. It would save the crew from a possibly embarrassing situation.
I announce so everyone can hear whether it is a spot or "running" throw-in. The defense is supposed to be informed just like the offense is.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 08:14am.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I usually specify either "spot throw" or "you can run the end line" for end line throw-ins only. For sideline throw-ins the players should always know it is a spot throw. I haven't heard a credible reason why I shouldn't. What you call "coaching" I, and many others call "preventative officiating".
Seems that we were on different wave-lengths.
Apparently, what you call "preventative officiating" I call proper mechanics.
I have no issue with the official signaling something which he should, however it seemed that you were advocating that the official should go out of his way to tell the player what he may or may not doing in this situation.
There is a line between an official properly giving information to the players and an official providing extra instruction which benefits one team.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 08:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I announce so everyone can hear whether it is a spot or "running" throw-in. The defense is supposed to be informed just like the offense is.
I honestly say it just loud enough for those in the vicinity to hear, along with a visual signal. I'm not yelling it loud enough for the bigs on the other end to hear it. But I agree, I wait until both sides are out of the TO before saying it, unless of course the D is a bit late to the party.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 08:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Spot throw-in after a charge was called on a fastbreak.
Yep, there was no TO involved (IIRC).
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I was so confused when i saw this live. There must have been some sort of break because it didn't even dawn on me this was a spot throw in.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:04am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Apparently, what you call "preventative officiating" I call proper mechanics.
Is there a section in the mechanics manual that says: "made sure to not over-communicate, you might be giving one team an unfair advantage" or "only follow these proper mechanics, nothing more, nothing less"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There is a line between an official properly giving information to the players and an official providing extra instruction which benefits one team.
If I do it for every throw, doesn't it benefit both teams?
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Is there a section in the mechanics manual that says: "made sure to not over-communicate, you might be giving one team an unfair advantage" or "only follow these proper mechanics, nothing more, nothing less"?

If I do it for every throw, doesn't it benefit both teams?
Nevadaref thought you meant something along the lines of "Jimmy, this is a spot throw in. Remember, that means you can't go too far to either your left or your right. You don't have to keep a pivot foot or anything, but your space is three feet wide."

Now, for most of me, it's "13, here's your spot." I think the problem was with the term "preventative officiating" when used to (apparently) indicate following the proper mechanics for the situation. Yes, in this case, the mechanic is preventive, but, it isn't what is generally referred to (around her) as "preventive officiating."

We get easily hung up on terms around here.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:15pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Nevadaref thought you meant something along the lines of "Jimmy, this is a spot throw in. Remember, that means you can't go too far to either your left or your right. You don't have to keep a pivot foot or anything, but your space is three feet wide."
Given that I said exactly what I do (see below), I don't think Nevadaref misunderstood me.

Quote:
I usually specify either "spot throw" or "you can run the end line" for end line throw-ins only. For sideline throw-ins the players should always know it is a spot throw.