The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So even though the clock is supposed to stop with the whistle (signals a foul), if you have a monitor, your can back up time and reset the clock to the time of the actual foul?
Why are you confused... that's EXACTLY what the rule says to do.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 04:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Why are you confused... that's EXACTLY what the rule says to do.
It appears that I am confusing NCAA, and NFHS rules. I know more about rocket surgery, and brain science, than I know about NCAA rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm strictly a NFHS guy. If I get a good look at the clock during a last second foul called by me, and if the clock mistakenly runs down to the horn, I could only reset the clock back to my whistle (signal), not back to the actual time of the foul. Am I correct in that high school assumption?
I get it now. You are asking what to do in an NFHS game which allows the use of a courtside monitor for review of a last second try.
Barring specific instruction from your state, the monitor is only used to determine the release of the try vs the expiration of time, not the timing of any foul. At the NFHS level, the referee can only reset the clock to what was seen following the sounding of a whistle. The NCAA rule is certainly different.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 05:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I get it now. You are asking what to do in an NFHS game which allows the use of a courtside monitor for review of a last second try. Barring specific instruction from your state, the monitor is only used to determine the release of the try vs the expiration of time, not the timing of any foul. At the NFHS level, the referee can only reset the clock to what was seen following the sounding of a whistle. The NCAA rule is certainly different.
Thanks. Actually I was aware that a monitor could not be used for such a purpose, but I was wondering about a call where I had a really good look at the clock during my last second foul call, followed by the horn mistakenly sounding.

(Sidebar: NFHS. Can the monitor also (in addition to above) be used to determine a two, or three, pointer on a last second try?)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 05:09pm.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Sidebar: NFHS. Can the monitor also (in addition to above) be used to determine a two, or three, pointer on a last second try?)
Your state may be different from what follows depending upon whatever specific language has been adopted, if any.
Here is the exact text from the NFHS rules book: "NOTE: A state association may permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor during state championship series contests to determine if a try for goal at the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00 on the game clock) should be counted, and if so, determine if it is a two- or a three-point goal."
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 12:46pm
AremRed

I believe the crux of this thread and the PTS discussion currently going on comes down to these questions:

Assuming perfect knowledge of the clock, are we obligated to fix it?
Assuming we are obligated, in what situations should we fix the clock?
Is clock operator lag simply part of the game?
Is clock operator lag acceptable in one part of the game but not at another part?

What do you think?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 12:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Your state may be different from what follows depending upon whatever specific language has been adopted, if any.
Here is the exact text from the NFHS rules book: "NOTE: A state association may permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor during state championship series contests to determine if a try for goal at the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00 on the game clock) should be counted, and if so, determine if it is a two- or a three-point goal."
I know one state that follows this to the letter.

I'm amazed that they will only consider the fourth quarter or overtime. A shot at the end of each other quarter can be just as crucial and as easily reviewable.