The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Timing Question

Longtime reader, first-time poster here. I'm a football official and basketball timekeeper - not a basketball rules expert - so my question will probably be pretty basic for you guys.

Opening tip-off. Ball is tapped by the visiting team's jumper, hits the floor, and bounces out of bounds untouched by any other player. Should the clock have started at any point or should it still read 8:00 when the ball goes out of bounds and is subsequently inbounded?

I'd appreciate a rule reference, since I tried to look this up in the rulebook and couldn't really find an easy answer. Thanks for your help!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJOfficial View Post
Longtime reader, first-time poster here. I'm a football official and basketball timekeeper - not a basketball rules expert - so my question will probably be pretty basic for you guys.

Opening tip-off. Ball is tapped by the visiting team's jumper, hits the floor, and bounces out of bounds untouched by any other player. Should the clock have started at any point or should it still read 8:00 when the ball goes out of bounds and is subsequently inbounded?

I'd appreciate a rule reference, since I tried to look this up in the rulebook and couldn't really find an easy answer. Thanks for your help!
Clock starts when the tossed ball is touched by a jumper. 5-9-2 (last year's reference, but I don't think it's changed)
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Bob. Looks like I messed this up, since I didn't start the clock, but I wasn't sure since the officials didn't make any effort to correct the clock before the ball was inbounded.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

When a U, about once a season I end up having to whistle a jump ball dead that is tilted to one side. When I do this, my arm is still straight up. But every timer starts the clock. I have to reset it to 8:00 and I always tell them, "please don't start the clock until you see a referee's arm chop in time". I've been in a number of close VB games this season, and I've probably had to correct timing errors about a dozen times this season; both stopping too late and starting too early.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:08am
This IS My Social Life

Good Question

Yes! Yet another candidate for a special forum dedicated exclusively to "table officials"!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Yes! Yet another candidate for a special forum dedicated exclusively to "table officials"!
Well, they are part of the officiating crew!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want to Know ???

Quote:
Longtime reader, first-time poster here.
Stupid question. I've always been curious. Why do first time posters have a post count of two?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reminder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
When a U, about once a season I end up having to whistle a jump ball dead that is tilted to one side. I have to reset it to 8:00.
Same thing for a jumper who taps the ball on the way up. Saw it in a state tournament game last season. Umpire did a nice job resetting the clock.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Stupid question. I've always been curious. Why do first time posters have a post count of two?
The first post (thread post #1) in this thread is user post #1. Then he replied (thread post #3) which is user post #2. That updates the user post count that you see displayed.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Updated Count ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
The first post (thread post #1) in this thread is user post #1. Then he replied (thread post #3) which is user post #2. That updates the user post count that you see displayed.
Thanks. Ask a stupid question, get a rational answer. What a great world it is that we live in.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 12:53pm.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

NJ, do you work the scoreboard also or just the clock? I'd suggest getting a hold of a rulebook if you can. The other important subject to know is the possession arrow. Several different rules address the arrow that may not be intuitive such as if the inbounding team on an alternating throw in fouls, they lose the throw in, but not the arrow.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I should have said fouls "during the throw in" so that's another point to know, when does a throw in end, because if the foul is after the throw in ends, the arrow does go to the other team.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
NJ, do you work the scoreboard also or just the clock? I'd suggest getting a hold of a rulebook if you can. The other important subject to know is the possession arrow. Several different rules address the arrow that may not be intuitive such as if the inbounding team on an alternating throw in fouls, they lose the throw in, but not the arrow.
Actually - if either team fouls 6.4.5
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

The other official, the one with his back to you near the table, will have his hand held high. When he brings the hand down, you start the clock. That should happen all throughout the game on throw-ins, after missed free throws, for any OT jump balls, etc. The official will chop in the time so you do not have to guess when to flip the switch.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys. I'll take another look through both the timing rules and the possession arrow (as well as keep an eye on this board). I do the clock, scoreboard, and PA announcing for the school I teach at (and graduated from), and I'm interested in making sure I know what I need to know to do the job right.

My school lost a heartbreaker in the conference tournament today so it hasn't been such a great day...