Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
MTD,

Do you also believe that you can't have a "double foul" by rule? The rules committee has decided that the fouls were personal fouls committed against each other. I'm not saying that it is a better rule than the Women's, but the case book play makes it a rule.

Also, the camps that I have been to lately encourage double whistles instead of trying to avoid them. Admittedly, the camp is heavily influenced by Women's officials but a lack of a whistle in the lane will prompt the clinician to ask "why didn't you have a whistle on that play?"

Ronny:

Whoooooooaaaaa Nellllllllllie!!! I have never (with apologies to J. Dallas Shirley) said that one cannot have a DF. Just this year alone, I had a DTF (both Flagrant) and two DPFs and Mark, Jr., had a DPF himself. What I am saying is that by rule it is impossible to have a "blarge".

"blarge" is a combination of two words: "block" and "charge" At this point I should issue a mea culpa: I have limited my musings in this thread to obtaining/establishing a LGP but they also apply not to just Guarding but to Screening as well.

When the Guarding and Screening rules apply and illegal contact occurs, by rule, there can be only one outcome: a block, or a charge, not both.

When the Guarding Rules apply: Either the Defensive Player (B-1) has obtained/established a LGP against an Offensive Player (A-1), or B-1 has not obtained/established a LGP against A-1.

When the Screening Rules apply: Either the Screening Player (B-1, yes defensive players can also set screens) has legally obtained/established a spot on the floor against the Screened Player (A-1), or B-1 has not legally obtained/established a spot on the floor against A-1.

And I will not go on because everybody knows my position about "blarges".

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Most of their information is public. Adams and Hyland post their emails on several places and they will tell you the NCAA Men's position I am sure.

Peace
The NCAA position is not relevant to me, and I've never actually read the NCAA rule/case that relates to this. I did ask the question to a guy at camp once:
"If this happens, do we have to report both fouls?" He seemed shocked by the question. "NO! Why would you?" I assured him that I wouldn't, but apparently a lot of guys would. He said, "NCAA, yes, NFHS no."

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The NCAA position is not relevant to me, and I've never actually read the NCAA rule/case that relates to this.
The NCAA-Men's position is identical to the NFHS position, so basically, you have read it.

Quote:
...I did ask the question to a guy at camp once:
"If this happens, do we have to report both fouls?" He seemed shocked by the question. "NO! Why would you?" I assured him that I wouldn't, but apparently a lot of guys would. He said, "NCAA, yes, NFHS no."
A "guy" in a camp? Did he assign games? Was he with the state governing body?

What happens when/if you work state play-off games with 2 guys/gals from other parts of the state and they say "if....2 preliminaries....we have report it as a blarge"? You tell them, "no, that's not what we are doing" ?
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
A "guy" in a camp? Did he assign games? Was he with the state governing body?
I don't recall who the guy was. I'm not even sure if he was a camp official or just a camper. The point is, that was the only other place I had asked the question, and the guy agreed with me.

Quote:
What happens when/if you work state play-off games with 2 guys/gals from other parts of the state and they say "if....2 preliminaries....we have report it as a blarge"? You tell them, "no, that's not what we are doing" ?
As far as I know, all members of a crew in the playoffs here come from the same place. If it ever does happen, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. My opinion in that situation would be as valuable as one of theirs.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't recall who the guy was. I'm not even sure if he was a camp official or just a camper. The point is, that was the only other place I had asked the question, and the guy agreed with me.
Don't you think that is kind of important who the guy is? Because if he is not a person that is on any committee or has influence over what your state or organizations are doing, how is anyone else going to follow his logic on the subject?

I am a clinician in my state, which means I can talk about rulings or interpretations my state puts out in trainings or camps. I would never talk about just what I think when there is an interpretation out there for everyone to see.

Quote:
As far as I know, all members of a crew in the playoffs here come from the same place. If it ever does happen, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. My opinion in that situation would be as valuable as one of theirs.
Not if you are not following the rule and your own logic of the remedy.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Don't you think that is kind of important who the guy is? Because if he is not a person that is on any committee or has influence over what your state or organizations are doing, how is anyone else going to follow his logic on the subject?
I had a conversation with a guy. Who the guy is doesn't matter. He had an opinion, just like you and I. I'm just saying that this was one guy who had the same opinion I have.

Quote:

Not if you are not following the rule and your own logic of the remedy.

Peace
I read the case and came to a conclusion about it. Other officials should do the same. Until somebody who has authority over what I do on the court tells me different, I will continue to practice and preach the same philosophy.

As far as discussing it here, while it is redundant, no I'm not trying to annoy anyone. (that's just an added perk ) But we do have new members being added to the discussion all the time, so restating one's opinion is the thing to do, even if one is alone in that opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I had a conversation with a guy. Who the guy is doesn't matter. He had an opinion, just like you and I. I'm just saying that this was one guy who had the same opinion I have.

I read the case and came to a conclusion about it. Other officials should do the same. Until somebody who has authority over what I do on the court tells me different, I will continue to practice and preach the same philosophy.

As far as discussing it here, while it is redundant, no I'm not trying to annoy anyone. (that's just an added perk ) But we do have new members being added to the discussion all the time, so restating one's opinion is the thing to do, even if one is alone in that opinion.
I just wonder why you prefer to debate us as opposed to getting a definitive ruling from the body that governs HS basketball in your state, or from the national body. Especially considering that you say you are the interpretor for your organization. In VA, interpreters are responsible for getting official rulings from the state/NFHS when there are questions or disputes.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I had a conversation with a guy. Who the guy is doesn't matter. He had an opinion, just like you and I. I'm just saying that this was one guy who had the same opinion I have..
It does matter if you want to use it as your justification of how you apply the rule or interpretation. This is why I do not go around say, "Well there is the guy online that says we should do....." and then following that interpretation. That is why we have state interpreters or administrators that we answer to. And if we already have a rule or interpretation in place and in writing, I am not going to take some guy I heard at a camp tell me what to do.

Quote:
I do not have to work with you specifically. But if someone told me they were going to do what you suggest, I am not going out without a big fight. And if we do something that is not followed by rule, I am making it known you were the one that took that position when I am asked later about why we did not follow the rule, if I even allow you to use some rule that is not supported by any interpretation.

Quote:
I really do not think you are annoying anyone. Just find it funny you keep taking this position when there is wording that does not support your position. It is great you have an opinion, but most of us do not work based on your opinion here. As stated, keep up the good fight.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I just wonder why you prefer to debate us as opposed to getting a definitive ruling from the body that governs HS basketball in your state, or from the national body. Especially considering that you say you are the interpretor for your organization. In VA, interpreters are responsible for getting official rulings from the state/NFHS when there are questions or disputes.
And I stated I am a clinician in my state. And we are expected to follow or seek information from the state administrator or others in authority when there is a need for a ruling. Everyone's email and phone number is listed if I need an interpretation.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Considering who you are (or say you are) and what position you have (or say you have), you have a very strange way of validating your opinion, and a strange place to go to do so.

"This one time, at basketball camp..." doesn't fly. Not here, not on the court, and CERTAINLY not if you're issuing opinions to others that they are expected to follow.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Have you written your state HS ruling body and asked the question?
Quote:
Never saw the need. In my association, if we have a rules interpreter, it's me. (unofficially)
That's exactly the reason (need, in your words) that you should seek out advice from the person who is a higher authority than you.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:52pm
We don't rent pigs

When I say I am an interpreter, perhaps I flatter myself. The title is unofficial and self-proclaimed and I have no authority over anyone, and don't want any. But I am the main one who answers rules questions, at meetings and on the phone. As far as having a question or dispute on this rule, I don't have one anywhere except here. It's never been a problem on the court and I don't expect one. If there has ever been an official ruling on this issue, in my state or any other, I assumed I would have seen it posted here at one time or another. I have not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I say I am an interpreter, perhaps I flatter myself. The title is unofficial and self-proclaimed and I have no authority over anyone, and don't want any. But I am the main one who answers rules questions, at meetings and on the phone. As far as having a question or dispute on this rule, I don't have one anywhere except here. It's never been a problem on the court and I don't expect one. If there has ever been an official ruling on this issue, in my state or any other, I assumed I would have seen it posted here at one time or another. I have not.
So ... you have NO ONE you could ask this of whose opinion you would consider as definitive? You have had no clinics at which this would come up?

Because I assure you, sir - the opinion you're expressing (all alone, I might add) here is contrary to those heard from clinicians and interpretors the rest of the country over.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 03:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You have, ad infinitum, and you're the only one who thinks the case play says anything different.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 03:14pm
AremRed

I think a few posters are taking JAR's "I asked a guy at camp" defense too literally.

The point is that JAR asked a guy what his common sense told him. His argument is an appeal to common sense. Common sense tells use a block/charge play is either a block or a charge (in varying degrees). If there is a close play the mechanics manual doesn't tell us to rule a double foul to cover all our bases, it tells us to make the call as best we can (by deferring, PCA, etc.). It does make common sense to gather and decide on one or the other, and that's the argument JAR was appealing to.