The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "blarge call" high school (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97482-blarge-call-high-school.html)

kentuckyfan Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51am

"blarge call" high school

Last night in a "block/charge" situation occured with the player on offense converting the basket. The official underneath the basket initially called a block. Official behind the play called a huddle, they then went to the scorers table and called a double foul, took the basket off of the scoreboard and awarded the ball to the team that was on defense via alternating posession arrow.

it is my understanding that since the bucket was good that the basket should have stood with both players being charged with a foul and the team on defense getting the ball underneath the basket with the ability to run the baseline.

Some have said this rule may be different using nfhs rules.

Sad thing is, this call was made with 1 minute left in regulation. Team that made the bucket but had it taken away would have gone up 6. they ended up losing in overtime.

Any guidance on how to apply this rule would be helpful.
Thanks,

tjones1 Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53am

You are correct.

*4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official rules a blocking foul on B1 and the other official rules a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.

RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)

kentuckyfan Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55am

Where did you pull that from? I'd like to have a link to that please.

deecee Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:57am

This is a double foul and the foul by the offensive player should not make the ball dead, as it would in a regular PC. The basket should count and the ball put in play at the POI, which in this case is B's ball with the privileged of running the endling.

deecee Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58am

He pulled it from the case book. The numbers before the case should tell you where to find it as the book goes in sequential order. Are you not an official?

bob jenkins Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:20am

Had the try been started before the foul(s)? Had the ball been released?

Camron Rust Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 926605)
This is a double foul and the foul by the offensive player should not make the ball dead, as it would in a regular PC. The basket should count and the ball put in play at the POI, which in this case is B's ball with the privileged of running the endling.

That depends on whether it is released or not before the foul. If so, count the basket and POI (throwin for B). If not, the ball is dead, no basket, POI (throwin for A).

Adam Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 926613)
That depends on whether it is released or not before the foul. If so, count the basket and POI (throwin for B). If not, the ball is dead, no basket, POI (throwin for A).

In neither case would you go to the arrow, though.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 926614)
In neither case would you go to the arrow, though.

In neither of those cases, true. But if the try was released but unsuccessful, you would go with the arrow.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:04pm

And this is why I pregame "blarges" out of my games because we all know that by rule a blarge is impossible: Either the Defensive Player has obtained (NFHS)/established (NCAA/FIBAp a LGP or he/she has not. A Defensive Player cannot have both a LGP and non-LGP simultaneously, :eek:.

This is one aspects of the rules that NCAA Women's gets it correct via its CCA Manual.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 926618)
And this is why I pregame "blarges" out of my games because we all know that by rule a blarge is impossible: Either the Defensive Player has obtained (NFHS)/established (NCAA/FIBAp a LGP or he/she has not. A Defensive Player cannot have both a LGP and non-LGP simultaneously, :eek:.

This is one aspects of the rules that NCAA Women's gets it correct via its CCA Manual.

MTD, Sr.

So you'd rather effectively flip a coin before the game to decide who is right?

MD Longhorn Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 926619)

I think he's rather simply call it correctly ... the blarge is like a tie in baseball - doesn't really happen. And calling a blarge is like asking yourself, "Did the defender have LGP" and answering, "I don't know," and ruling accordingly.

HokiePaul Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 926618)

Just curious what the CCA Manual state? Does it require the officials to confer and make a determination?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 926623)
Just curious what the CCA Manual state? Does it require the officials to confer and make a determination?

Yes.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 926619)

Camron:

A good pregame involves PCAs and how to handle plays coming from one PCA and going into another PCA. I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that "blarges" happen more often in games officiated with three-man crews as opposed to two-man crews.

MTD, Sr.