The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

poor communication on free throw administration

Team A is fouled and is in the bonus... official reports the foul to the table and indicates 1 and 1... administrating official either assumes that it is a double bonus or has a brain fart but anyway indicates that it is two shots. Player A1 shoots and misses the first free throw... Team B players do not react to the miss because they think it is a double bonus... Team A players do react and get the rebound and make the basket.

How do correct this? Unless I am missing something in the casebook I don't see this situation discussed.

My initial thought is to stop play, do not count the basket and resume with the AP arrow. Is there a rule to back this up?
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

If the official informs them its 2 shots then the ball is dead on the miss and you go to the AP arrow.

If say you shot 2 and the first was a miss then this is a correctable error.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Case book play 8.6.1
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If the official informs them its 2 shots then the ball is dead on the miss and you go to the AP arrow.

If say you shot 2 and the first was a miss then this is a correctable error.
Neither of these statements is correct.
If both teams ignore the erroneous info provided by the official and go for the ball, it remains live.
This is not one of the five correctable errors.

There is a specific case book play instructing how to handle it and that is to whistle it dead ASAP if only one team or neither team attempts to rebound and resume with the AP arrow.

I see that APG has provided the citation.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 06:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sit In A Boat All Day And Drink Beer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw
situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that
two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is
rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another
throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw;
or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound.
The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's
error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and
didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and
resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an
attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to
gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Neither of these statements is correct.
If both teams ignore the erroneous info provided by the official and go for the ball, it remains live.
This is not one of the five correctable errors.

There is a specific case book play instructing how to handle it and that is to whistle it dead ASAP if only one team or neither team attempts to rebound and resume with the AP arrow.

How is neither correct? The official informed them it was 2 shots. On the miss after the first one you go to the AP.

If he misses the first and makes the second then the table calls the officials over to tell them it was 1-1 then why wouldn't this fall under being rewarded for unmerited free throws?
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How is neither correct? The official informed them it was 2 shots. On the miss after the first one you go to the AP.

If he misses the first and makes the second then the table calls the officials over to tell them it was 1-1 then why wouldn't this fall under being rewarded for unmerited free throws?
Neither statement which you wrote is correct because your first statement was that the ball is dead on the miss because of the official's incorrect info. That is untrue, the ball is not automatically dead. As part c of the Case Book play states, if both teams go for the rebound anyway, then play should continue as normal and the ball remains live. Also, when only one team goes for the rebound or neither an official must whistle for the ball to become dead. That's also in the case book ruling.

Your second statement about the correctable error is wrong because this situation would only become such if a 2nd FT attempt were to be administered following the 1st attempt being unsuccessful. That wasn't part of the scenario, so there's no CE. This is merely a mistake by the officials.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Neither statement which you wrote is correct because your first statement was that the ball is dead on the miss because of the official's incorrect info. That is untrue, the ball is not automatically dead. As part c of the Case Book play states, if both teams go for the rebound anyway, then play should continue as normal and the ball remains live. Also, when only one team goes for the rebound or neither an official must whistle for the ball to become dead. That's also in the case book ruling.

Your second statement about the correctable error is wrong because this situation would only become such if a 2nd FT attempt were to be administered following the 1st attempt being unsuccessful. That wasn't part of the scenario, so there's no CE. This is merely a mistake by the officials.
In the OP only one team went for the rebound. So you would count the bucket if the team scored before the whistle was blown? It's semantics, because I sure as hell won't count the score.

My second statement was in regards to IF a second FT was given.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the OP only one team went for the rebound. So you would count the bucket if the team scored before the whistle was blown? It's semantics, because I sure as hell won't count the score.
If there isn't a whistle, then what rule makes the ball dead?
You may not like it, but as an official you have to follow the rules.
Quote:
My second statement was in regards to IF a second FT was given.
Ok, but that's not even close to what you originally wrote.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 07:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball ???

Quote:
If there isn't a whistle, then what rule makes the ball dead?
In a), and b), in the case play above, doesn't the ball become dead when all the other players remain motionless in anticipation of another throw, which may precede the sounding of the whistle by a second, or a fraction of a second?

Isn't this the case in most cases of a whistle being sounded, that is, the ball is already dead when the whistle sounds (foul, or violation)?

Doesn't Basketball Rule Fundamental #16 apply here (The official’s whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead))?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 16, 2014 at 10:09am.