The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Question

My partner and I disagreed about a mechanic. I can't find this in the officials manual. Please help anyone that can.

Before bouncing the ball to the shooter, the Lead verbally and visually signals the number of attemps. After bouncing the ball to the free throw shooter, the Lead official steps back off the baseline about four feet from the lane line. WHO SIGNALS TO THE TABLE THE NUMBER OF SHOTS REMAINING?

The Lead, the Trail, Both, or Niether?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
My partner and I disagreed about a mechanic. I can't find this in the officials manual. Please help anyone that can.

Before bouncing the ball to the shooter, the Lead verbally and visually signals the number of attemps. After bouncing the ball to the free throw shooter, the Lead official steps back off the baseline about four feet from the lane line. WHO SIGNALS TO THE TABLE THE NUMBER OF SHOTS REMAINING?

The process that you described is sufficient.

In 2-person around here, the trail official often signals the number of free throws with the outside hand until the ball is at the disposal of the free thrower but it isn't required.

Z
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Responsibility for signaling to the table the number of foul shots: the C in 3-man and the T in 2-man. That is what we are taught in PA.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

Thats exactly what I do also.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

i appreciate the responses. is there anything in the manual that i am missing? can someone provide a page or reference the manual for me?

I'm interested in 2-person mechanics.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i appreciate the responses. is there anything in the manual that i am missing? can someone provide a page or reference the manual for me?

I'm interested in 2-person mechanics.
There is nothing that you are missing. Everyone who posted is doing what they were taught which is fine. You need to see what the respected officials in your area do and follow suit.

There is no requirement for the trail to signal the number of free-throws, but many areas do it as an accepted practice.

Z
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, according to the manual NEITHER official indicates number of shots to the table after the foul is reported.

In AZ they want lead to say and indicate, back out and give a visual to the table
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Your reporting to the table should be sufficient if it is a shooting foul - the table tells you if it is a bonus situation and you signal back the number of shots to confirm it.
No other mechanic exists for signal the number of shots to the table.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't this a women's mechanics? I see some HS guys do this during freethrows. I have opted not to because I see no purpose.