The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

The shooter A1 and players for A and B line up properly for the first of two free throw attempts. The administering official bounces the ball to the shooter, who catches is. The shooter bounces the ball three times but on the fourth bounce fumbles the ball across the free throw line. Before any player moves, the center official blows the ball dead, and the administration for the first free throw is started over. Are the officials correct?
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eckert
The shooter A1 and players for A and B line up properly for the first of two free throw attempts. The administering official bounces the ball to the shooter, who catches is. The shooter bounces the ball three times but on the fourth bounce fumbles the ball across the free throw line. Before any player moves, the center official blows the ball dead, and the administration for the first free throw is started over. Are the officials correct?
Yes.

Is that a test question?

Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

No, but it should be! It happened in a girls game last night in Virginia. Can anyone cite the relevant rule or casebook play?
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 05:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No, but it should be! It happened in a girls game last night in Virginia. Can anyone cite the relevant rule or casebook play?
Casebook play 9.1.1
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 11:22pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

JR:
I am not sure why in 9.1.1, muffing the pass is treated the same as catches and then drops.
Per the casebook example, in either case the official is instructed to "sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again."

I am not sure what violation you can have prior to the ball being at the disposal of the shooter(4-7-b)
Clearly catching and subsequently fumbling has met the requirement for being "at the disposal of the shooter"

On the other hand, muffing the pass never meets the criteria for at the disposal so what violation are we trying to preempt?

Appreciate your insights
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 11:26pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

JR:
I am not sure why in 9.1.1, muffing the pass is treated the same as catches and then drops.
Per the casebook example, in either case the official is instructed to "sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again."

I am not sure what violation you can have prior to the ball being at the disposal of the shooter(4-7-b)
Clearly catching and subsequently fumbling has met the requirement for being "at the disposal of the shooter"

On the other hand, muffing the pass never meets the criteria for at the disposal so what violation(s) are we trying to prevent?

Appreciate your insights
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by justacoach
JR:

On the other hand, muffing the pass never meets the criteria for at the disposal so what violation(s) are we trying to prevent?

Appreciate your insights
Yo, justa, you're suggesting we all just stand there until the C counts to 10 and blows the whistle?

Nah, you aint suggesting that...
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 03:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by justacoach
JR:

Appreciate your insights
If the shooter steps into the lane and then gains possession of the "muffed" ball, the ball is now "at his disposal", and he's just committed a line violation. The purpose and intent of this rule is to not penalize accidental fumbles, muffs,etc. that really don't have a bearing on the game. It also covers the cases where the administering official throws a bad pass to the FT shooter, or bounces the ball before the FT shooter is ready for it.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I officiate in northern VA. Just curious where (schools involved) this occured.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Administration

Central Virginia, east of Richmond.